Okay. This time I did three pearls for two cups of tea. I’m on infusion one, cup one, right as soon as it reached drinkable temperature. It smells cocoa-y and heavenly, as any black dragon pearl should. At this point, it’s earthy, a little astringent, with an undertone of the maltiness that I really came for. From my experience, though, the cup I like best is usually the second one, the one that’s had the chance to sit and cool for a bit. That’s where the maltiness and the cocoa undertones really come in.

Isn’t it funny how different flavors become prominent as temperature changes? Tea is awesome!

Edit: Infusion 1, Cup 2: The tea had cooled down enough that I reheated it a bit… by the microwave… (lights and sirens) (Tea Police pull up outside and surround the premises) THIS is the tea I bought this big bag for! Astringency is toned down and the smoothness is more prominent.

Infusion 2: I added one more pearl, boiled water, and let this steep for about a minute, seeing as the liquor was the deep dark red color almost instantaneously as I poured the water. The cocoa aroma has intensified. There’s still a bit of astringency (perhaps a bitty bitty bit more than the Adagio version of this tea?), but this is the black dragon pearl tea I fell in love with.

The thing about this tea is that it’s just off to the side of being perfect. I find that foods and beverages that are like that, that have a good flavor that’s just off the center, are the ones that hook me the most. Good in the morning, good in the afternoon, good in the evening. Love this tea love this tea love this tea.