This is actually attempt #2 at this tea, because the first time I was so underwhelmed/distracted that it didn’t really feel fair basing my review upon that reaction.

It is time I finally admitted out loud that I am not the fan of Verdant Teas that everyone else seems to be. By now, I have tried all five of the teas from my $5 sampler. I’m growing accustomed to the Laoshan Black, but as for the rest, they’re all high-quality teas, but none of them are the flavors I want to be drinking when I drink tea. What’s more is that I’m developing hype aversion toward them, very similar to the lump in my heart I’ve had for years that is my feelings toward Firefly. It’s quite possible that I’m just “doing it all wrong,” but I kind of don’t want to give that company the satisfaction of trying it and proving myself wrong. Ah, spiteful closed-mindedness.

This tea. It’s an oolong, so I feel like I should be getting all sorts of complex flavors, swirling over my tastebuds like colors in a kaleidoscope. Well, there’s barley… and there’s barley… and it’s kinda grassy… and the item description says “creamy custard” and “burnt caramel” but there’s still barley… SERIOUSLY! Is something amazingly wrong with my tastebuds? Am I an uncivilzed brute? Did I oversteep the f***er yet again? Where’s the creamy, buttery taste?!?!? Am I crazy?

Not rating this one. My opinion seems to be an outlier. Perhaps it really can’t be appreciated unless you do short steepings in the gongfu. Which I do not own yet. Hmmmm, maybe that’s how I’ll blow my commission check…

TheTeaFairy

Haha! You gave me a good laugh! True that this type of tea will reveal its layers better gungfu style.
Even if you don’t own a Gaiwan, you can still achieve pretty good results using 2 small cups or glasses, a saucer and a strainer. You pack your tea in one cup,(use Verdant’s gungfu parameters) pour water and put the saucer as a cover for few seconds, then transfer the liquid in the other cup using strainer.
It may sound a bit tedious, but it’s rather easy. Then, you might find the «creamy custard», but then again, maybe not :-)

JustJames

i’ve been in that demographic. i hate being the one nay when the tea sounds so grand and i’m just not getting the results.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

I am a Verdant lover, I’ve been in your situation with some other teas on here! And even a couple of the verdant teas, I haven’t loved as much as the majority of people. Just part of having different tastes!

Comments

TheTeaFairy

JustJames

Fuzzy_Peachkin

My taste in tea always seems to be changing!

I don’t drink green teas as often, but there are a few I quite enjoy.

Same with white teas.

P.S. Any rare soul who recognizes the profile pic gets bonus points forever.

One foot’s on the Holodeck. The other’s in Lancaster, Ohio.