drank Sencha Jade Reserve by Teavana

So this was today:

Reported for jury duty at 8:45 in the morning. Oddly enough, was looking forward to getting a bit of an insight into the legal system – or, more accurately, getting out of work.

After over an hour of sitting around in the conference room with no news, we find out the defendant didn’t show. We still have to go upstairs to the courtroom so the judge can ramble at us about tangentially related matters.

Still have to go to work, since my shift is from 11:30 to 8.

Then this happened right outside the store. http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/05/27/east-columbus-truck-takes-down-power-lines.html

We are always required to stay open when the power’s out.

Upon hearing many estimates that it would take many hours to get the power back if it even got done today, I call the lesson teachers to see if they still want to teach today given the uncertain situation. The two with the most students say let’s reschedule. I call all of their students and leave voicemails for all but TWO.

At 3 PM, AFTER I’ve called all those lesson students, the power comes back on. (I’m not complaining about the power. I’m complaining about feeling like a doof.)

I can’t really complain about working a 10 hour day to close because I volunteered to do it, but damn it was still a long day. Especially when I’m by myself for 7.5 of those hours.

Sooooo yeah.

The last time I had this tea was a year ago. It was the second time I made it, and I didn’t understand why you didn’t play loosey goosey with green tea steeping parameters. That taught me why. It was still one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever had.

Tonight, I was very careful not to let it get over-hot and VERY careful not to steep more than 40-45 seconds.

Well this is interesting. I can’t tell if I’ve developed a Pavlovian response to green teas, but I feel like I can’t make them without smelling that dreaded rotten-meat-oversteep smell somewhere in the background. But it diminishes as it cools. In the foreground is the very astringent, crisp, grassy taste that I guess is Japanese green tea. I’ve never been a fan of those in the past, but it seems like my tastebuds are changing quite a lot recently, and it’s possible I could cultivate a taste for them. Still, I’m not sure about this one. It’s one of those that I can… appreciate… without truly enjoying? But I don’t dislike it?

I seriously don’t know what I think of this tea! I guess it’s stark opposite from what my usual inclinations are, so it’s an interesting change? It’s certainly clean-tasting and fresh, if nothing else.

Maybe one day I will get on a Japanese green tea kick. I’m just interested to see what other flavors there are out there. After all, I didn’t think I liked sheng pu-erhs, but I finally learned to appreciate them once I tried enough different kinds with the right steeping methods. Who knows?

The name’s Holly, and I’ve been a tea drinker since spring of 2013. Tea is my happy place – it picks me up, it calms me down, it helps me focus, it helps me loosen my grip, it’s a little bit of positivity in each day. I do not drink alcohol, so tea is my recreational beverage. I love learning everything there is to know about it and sharing my experiences.

When I’m not drinking or writing about tea, I’m working at a music store and pursuing a Master’s degree in professional writing. You may also find me reading, writing, trying to learn French, cycling on the weekends, being a klutz, or making horrible puns and Star Trek references. Likely all at the same time.

My Tea Blog: http://steepinclined.wordpress.com/