Maybe after reading the favorable posts, had set my hopes too high. Or, maybe I need to use a lot more tea in my infuser.

With Indiana paralysed by an ice storm, I had lots of time to shop online and finally got around to spending the Talbott’s Groupon that I purchased some weeks ago for just such a day. The fearless FedEx delivery person dropped my box of tea this afternoon and within minutes I had ripped into it and was sniffing the intoxicating fragrances of my three choices (two being chocolate, the other cinnamon rose).

The hubby was outdoors breaking the 8 to 10 inches of ice that was making any thought of getting my car out of the drive laughable, and then shovelling the heavy chunks out of the way. What a man!

So, when it appeared he was nearly finished, I set the kettle on the stove and chose “Cocoa Cardamom Seduction.” And I even had a sheet of freshly baked cookies to go with the tea (it took a while to break up all that ice!)

The tin contained visible chunks of spice and tea, and the fragrance was mouth-watering; as pretty to look at as was its aroma while steeping in my favorite tea pot.

The flavor fell short of expectations, though. Seems to be all fragrance but just a mild black tea flavor. We added a little cream and sugar and it seemed to bring a little cocoa flavor forward, though this is not our normal tea service. I suppose I will try steeping another pot some other time, with more tea in the infuser and maybe for a longer time. There have been such fine reviews that surely I just need to experiment some more

TeaEqualsBliss

try doubling the amount of loose leaf but not the length of infusion! :) Might help!

Andriel

Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to try this one again; in the meantime I have tried another Talbott tea and discovered that it does take more leaf to achieve the flavor level I am seeking. Another day…

Comments

TeaEqualsBliss

Andriel

I have loved tea since I was a child, this being a gift bestowed upon me by my mother. It all began with her cups of sweetened Constant Comment (sometimes spiked with a bit of Jim Beam, to cure aches and pains) on cold evenings, and over the years I have enjoyed many teas that have made their way to my kitchen from all over the world.

I must admit from the start that am not a tea-snob. I enjoy the flavors from my own summer garden all through the winter months. There are a few grocery-varieties that will always be on hand (especially Constant Comment) that evoke dear memories of the past. And in that never-quite quenched search for the exquisite, the never-before known flavor, the ultimate tea…well, there are some of those that I love as well. The point is, the longer I live, the more I realize that free can taste just as delicious as $$$. Drink what tastes good, and what satiates your soul.

Indiana, USA