drank Malted ChocoMaté by 52teas

Okay so my first order from 52 Teas arrived and I rip it open and smell this wonderful deep dark chocolate Mate smell. I boil some hot water and let it go for about a 5 minute steep and to my surprise the liquor is not very dark in fact it is kinda ambery in color. I then take a whiff and I still get chocolate only not as much as post steep. I let it cool and take a sip and I get nothing! I mostly just taste hot water and a hint of chocolate flavor. If this is the case I’ll be sticking with Teavana’s My Morning Mate but I won’t give up on it just yet I’ll try some different steep times and maybe more Mate and see what happens I’ll wait till then to rate it to give it a fair shot.

Update: Giving this tea a second time this time going for seven minutes at the suggestion of some of my fellow steeps and I still get a hint of cocoa flavor but honestly nothing about this tea is WOWing me. :( I like big bold flavors unless of course I am drinking a white or green tea but otherwise I like big bold flavors and this just doesn’t do it. My rating on this tea is not because it’s bad but because it lacks flavor.

Cofftea

This is the 1st mate I’ve had so I’m leary to mess w/ the steeping time too much. More leaf maybe? I agree w/ the “not so chocoaltey” though.

AmazonV

in the past i have to say for mate in general i steep like 7 minutes, and with heaping tsp’s not even (my morning mate teavana, ROT double chocolate mate etc)

SoccerMom

@cofftea I love mates but all the mates I have tried have been from Teavana (I liked them all) because they have alot of flavor and was disappointed because I expected 52’s to have just as much flavor but it’s just not there so far. I know people say that the flavors of 52teas are very light but I only want “light” if I am going for a green tea or a white not a MATE:)

@AmazonV I will try the 7 minute steep time tomorrow morning. I almost always use heaping teaspoons with mates too!

Some of them are light, some are IN YOUR FACE=D

AmazonV

I should update that in my profile, i like teas that are “in my face=D” i think that does describe my likes well….weak teas i have on occasion but i don’t really fall in love with them and want them around all the time

SoccerMom

AmazonV I am with you I like in your face teas too! I also like your profile “I love caffeine” I love caffeine too!

Lori

I definitely brew this one for 7-8 minutes to bring out the flavor. Although it is not necesarily chocolate-y, it does have a strong, bold flavor to me.

Although I haven’t tried Teavana’s My Morning Mate yet, both Teavana’s Matevana and 52teas Mate are comparable. Both are great in the morning as a substitute for coffee.

SoccerMom

Lori Thanks I will do 7-8 minutes in the morning. :)

Comments

Cofftea

Some of them are light, some are IN YOUR FACE=D

Lori

SoccerMom

Lori Thanks I will do 7-8 minutes in the morning. :)

New to the world of hot tea, being born and raised in Texas we typically only drink lipton black tea, sweetened and iced of course! I recently discovered the world of hot tea / flavored teas and am thoroughly enjoying my new little world of tea!

Favorite Tea Quote: A woman is like a tea bag – you can’t tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt