I’ve sort of lost the whole tea writing mood lately, as you can see from all the short I’m-behind-posts. We’re having this one right now, though, and I’m going to make myself sit down and write something pseudo-intelligent about it.

I like a Keemun to be largely smooth and rounded, but with a little bit of a smoky edge to it. Just a bit. I like the smokier tasting Keemuns better than the more floral tasting ones, and my least favourites are the ones that fall right in the middle of that spectrum because they’re so confusing!

This one has a mild aroma. It’s grainy and kinda sweet, and unfortunately it’s one of those where I can’t tell whether I think it’s more one or more the other. sigh In many other things I would call that a perfect balance, but in this particular kind of tea? I really really want it to be more smoky than floral. I really can’t decide what I think here, and now I’ve put lotion on my hands and can’t smell anything other than that so we’ll just move on.

The flavour is going a lot better in terms of leaning towards smoky or floral. Unfortunately for me, it’s more floral. Still, it’s better than the middle of the scale.

It makes up for this, though, by being extraordinarily cocoa-y. It’s just not a note I’m connecting with this type at all, normally, so it’s really interesting to find it here. It was actually the boyfriend who found it and pointed it out to me, and now I can’t untaste it.

It’s like all the grainyness that I would normally have expected to find has been transformed into cocoa. How interesting!

Another thing that’s interesting is how I’m apparently the only one to have thought it more floral than smoky… It makes me feel a little disappointed in my own tastebuds.

I’m dithering about this one. It’s a very good tea, yes, but it’s not at all what I want in a Keemun. I have to say, I miss the grain. I miss the association to proper Danish rye bread, dark and wholegrain-y, like this http://www.grillguru.dk/forum/userpix/1312_DSC_1283_1.jpg (not my site, not my picture. The magic of Google image search)

I’m definitely very much enjoying this one, but it’s not… it’s not it! So, if you were me, would you rate it solely on the experience of this particular cup, or would you deduct points for not being what you wanted it to be?

I’m going to give it a tentative score. Then we’ll see if I end up adjusting it.

Thomas Smith

I can’t really tell from the picture they have – how tippy or golden is this one? Many of the Hao Ya versions I’ve had are either floral-fruity or a lightweight cocoa and I’ve come to associate the level of down prevalence with level of cocoa character for Hao Ya just as I do for northern Fujian reds.

Angrboda

I can’t really tell that sort of thing. At the site there is a better picture where you can zoom in. http://www.teavivre.com/keemun-hao-ya/ Mysteriously I actually thought I had cheaped out and ordered the Grade 1 instead, and had to check the bag several times to convince myself that it wasn’t. Maybe it was the Bai Lin I did that with, regular as opposed to organic…

I’ve had a Hao Ya Keemun before and remember that one as really good but that was before I was experienced enough with them to be able to define what I wanted from the type.

I’m beginning to wonder if perhaps I’m just not made for higher grades of tea. Often I find them too dainty and with not enough oomph to them. I tried the higher grade of the Tan Yang Te Ji (oh gosh at a price!) once and discovered the same thing.

Oh, and I hear you met a friend of mine at the tea festival! Small world! :D

Thomas Smith

Hahaha, yeah I was hoping I’d meet a few steepsterites who I’ve read reviews from but only talked to one person who identified herself as a user. It was a nice event that I hope is improved upon for next year.

I’m in the process of moving right now, but in a month or two after getting settled I would like to throw some teas out your way to get your opinion on them. If you send me an address in a personal message I’ll see what I can do after my furniture and finances have settled back down. May include some of the more florally reds you may not care too much for but will attempt to make up for it with others I think you’ll like. I’m flakey on trades, though, so if two or more months have gone by I haven’t forgotten (ask Auggie).

Angrboda

I wish I could have gone and met Steepsterites too. I would particularly love to meet the woman you met in person, I’ve known her for several years now. Unfortunately that sort of travelling is not for me, partly because I find it a rather large expense and partly because travelling is super-stressful for me. I have learned to handle the trip to the UK to visit with the boyfriend’s family fairly, but I still don’t think I could do it alone.

As for the swap, I sent you a message. Sounds like you have some specific things in mind you want to share. How intersting. :D

Comments

Thomas Smith

Oh, and I hear you met a friend of mine at the tea festival! Small world! :D