drank Tanzania GFOP by A C Perch's

Inspired by Indigobloom who enjoyed a Tanzanian black the other day, I decided to start the day with a cup of my own. As I mentioned in my comment to Indigobloom, tasting this one for the first time was a sort of ‘hey this is strong, no wait, this is lovely!’ experience. It’s so honey-sweet! With this particular pot, I have somehow really managed to hit that point where nice turns into lovely. I remember the first time I ordered it, half for work and half for home because the boss was uncertain about whether she would enjoy it. It’s not possible to get less than 100g from ACP’s webshop, so no samples.

This particular cup comes from when I bought another portion of it for home and that’s nearly gone as well. Although I am quite enjoying it, I’m not sure if I’ll buy it one more time (when, after July, I may) though. Maybe I’ll give that one a little break and use the space to try out something else. I have my sights on a Nothing But Tea order when that time comes, I believe. And Teavivre, I think. Although… with tax, customs and import fees being a constant threat on anything coming in from outside the EU, that’s a bit uncertain. It depends on how large an order I want to make. For smaller orders, it’s just not worth taking the risk these days.

Indigobloom

customs fees, blegh!
hehe I inspired a tea review!! :P

Angrboda

And why shouldn’t you. :)

Kittenna

You clearly need to acquire more North American friends who frequently travel to Europe and are willing to receive orders and bring them out to you! :P (Not that I have any suggestions, but fees are a huge deterrent to making online purchases, and although living in Canada sucks for many companies, I’ve gathered that it’s far worse where you are!)

Angrboda

Yes, because so many companies ship from America and weirdly enough it’s generally much cheaper to get stuff sent from China. With the few American companies that were available to me before, I’ve more or less given up for the time being, at least with any sort of regular purchase, but with those who can ship from China, I’m much more likely to gamble because the shipping fee is generally that much cheaper. Maybe it has something to do with middle men and such before it reaches the consumer.

Scott B

My shipping from China (TeaVivre) is cheaper or comparable than a lot of American-based companies.

Angrboda

Yeah, it’s the same thing with TeaSpring. Their shipping is almost free as well.

ashmanra

I agree about the shipping and such. My daughter knew she was going to Ireland so she ordered some Dammann Freres for me for my birthday and had it shipped to her boyfriend’s house in N. Ireland then brought it with her when she flew home. She said it saves a bit of $$$.

Angrboda

Yes, shipping from America to Europe is often ridiculous and I’m not surprised that it’s the same thing going to other way. I’ve set myself a shipping expense limit of how much I’m willing to pay for shipping and if it’s more than that, then tough, that shop is out of bounds for me. It’s sufficiently difficult to find shipping for under $15 that I’ve just stopped looking if I think something is an American shop. Therefore it also takes me years, sometimes, to work out that something is actually a UK shop…

Scott B

I’m in the States, so when shipping from China is cheaper, that is really saying something. TeaVivre has FREE shipping on $30 US order. Of course that takes up to 3 weeks to arrive. You can get Airmail (6-9 days to USA) for only $5.90 though. Most US companies require orders of $50-$100 before you get free shipping-which is why I often only order during free shipping promotions.

Angrboda

Yes, it’s amazing isn’t it? Part of it may be that postage is just generally cheaper in China than it is where you and I live. I mean Denmark is currently one of the countries with the most expensive postage rates in Europe. I don’t know what postage cost in the US, but I imagine you’re probably experiencing the same price increases that we are in Europe, when so many things are handled digitally instead of on paper. Currently a normal class A letter with one or two sheets of paper in it to somewhere else in Denmark costs 8 kr to send. That’s about $1.40.

It’s funny how in many ways the internet has made the world a lot smaller, but when it comes to sending stuff in the mail, the world sometimes seems to have been made much larger.

Comments

Indigobloom

customs fees, blegh!
hehe I inspired a tea review!! :P

Angrboda

And why shouldn’t you. :)

Kittenna