drank Chilli Chilli Bang Bang by Yumchaa

Cteresa was kind enough to supply me with some more flavoured rooibos samples. Two of them I’m eager to try and one not so much. This one would be the not so much. It has many things in it that I don’t much care for. Still I decided to do this one first because that was the only way I could think of to make sure it didn’t languish forever in the sample box. And I did want to try a new rooibos blend.

So I’m giving it a cautious go. Last time I gave something I fully expected to dislike a cautious go, I ended up giving it 90+ points, after all.

Well, the aroma is strong. Cinnamon and ginger are right there at the forefront, and I haven’t even put my nose anywhere near the cup yet. It smells uncannily like mulled wine, which I’m finding a little strange. Upon closer olfactory inspection, I can also pick up some pepper in there. I have to say, the aroma does nothing to quell my fears. (Sugar on standby)

It’s not as spicy as I initially feared, but it does have a rather strong ginger-y note, with some cinnamon behind it. There is a small prickle of chili and pepper, just enough that I can feel it on my tongue, but not enough to be burning.

It’s not as bad as I feared, but it’s definitely not one for me either. There are too many things in this that I don’t really want anywhere near my teas or herbals. Ginger most especially. I like ginger okay in food or in some baking, when it’s not a primary flavour but merely adding a zing of something to the dish. I feel the same way about garlic, really. On it’s own or in something where it’s a heavy flavour? Not so much.

I find it drinkable as it is, but just barely. Still I eventually decided against trying it with some sugar, because I just couldn’t imagine sugar being able to do anything about my problems with it, and I thought I’d probably just risk making it completely useless to me.

No, definitely not for me. Sorry, Cteresa.

gmathis

You gotta give it points for a fun name, though!

Missy

I like the sugar on standby. You could yell sugar to cup stat!

Bonnie

I would have put in the sugar…for sure sometimes it turns the tea around into a winner. Never know.

cteresa

ah, sorry, did not realize! and glad it got there safe and sound.

I am not usually a fan of very spicy tea, but like this mix – particularly the chilli, I find it so warming, in a nice way, when it´s dreary or I am feeling ill. Though I admit I like spices. Hope you like the other samples better, very curious for your opinion!

Comments

gmathis

You gotta give it points for a fun name, though!

Missy

I like the sugar on standby. You could yell sugar to cup stat!

Bonnie

cteresa

ah, sorry, did not realize! and glad it got there safe and sound.

The Formalities