drank Yi Hong Jing Pin A by TeaSpring

Another from my recent ‘Explore China’ TeaSpring order, and it’s from the Hu Bei province, which is in mid-China, just west of Anhui, which is where Keemun comes from.

This one is another one that comes with a LOT of expectations from me. Auggy has had this one and she was very impressed indeed, so that really raises the bar for me as well. Auggy hasn’t been around much in a while, so many of you might not be aware of this, and many who were might have forgotten, but the thing is that when it comes to black Chinese tea, we have discovered ourselves to be taste twins. Or as close to it as it’s possible to get. We like so many of the same ones, and we tend to appreciate pretty much the same qualities in them. So when Auggy gives this stuff 98 points? It seems that it must be almost impossibly good.

The aroma of the leaves were a good start. They were very chocolate-y and had some fruity, raisin-y undertones to them. Perhaps a little leather-y too. Mostly chocolate-y though.

After brewing it seems to be the other way around, with the fruity, raisin-y note in the foreground and the chocolate-y one somewhat in the background.

The flavour, however, is all chocolate-y and raisin-y again. I think it’s about half and half of the two, but the raisin-y bit is simply the one I notice first of the two. On top of it all there is a thin layer of something vaguely floral.

It’s a smooth cup this, and I suspect that the chocolate aspect with start standing out more against the raisin-y note as it continues to cool down.

Yes, Auggy… I can see what you mean.

Auggy

Yay! I feel like I’ve won some sort of award since you like it, too! :)

Angrboda

Don’t you just love that feeling of validation when this sort of stuff happens. I went all nuts when the husband suggested a fruity note was peach-y and it was the same thought that I’d just written about on Steepster.

Auggy

I know! There’s always a level of “am I getting this or am I insane?” so it’s good to have that confirmation that it’s not insanity! (Or if it is, it is shared insanity!)

Comments

Auggy

Yay! I feel like I’ve won some sort of award since you like it, too! :)

Angrboda