drank Caramel by American Tea Room

My new Roy Kirkham china has arrived! There’s a picture of it here along with the old cracked one. You can see the crack if you look closely. I haven’t cleaned it yet, obviously, and it appears, now that I look closer at it, that the crack has actually been leaking some, or there wouldn’t be dribbles down the side like that. 1

What better time to try the caramel tea that Auggy sent me? I am even using the cup that goes with it, rather than a mug like a usually do. I tend to prefer the mug because I can empty the whole pot in one go. This way the last half will keep on steeping. But, new china is new china! I couldn’t use a mug for it this very first time. Oh the joys of not having to pour over the sink!

It’s very sweet smelling, but not necessarily caramel sweet at first. It’s more like it’s just a fairly generic, mild black tea with a hefty amount of cane sugar in it. Hm. That’s not really the sort of aroma I want to find in a caramel tea…

I’m afraid the flavour is the same as the aroma. It’s just sweetened tea with a mild base. Ceylon, possibly. It reminds me of Ceylon. The sweetness even comes across more like a naturally occurring sweetness rather than an added flavouring and I’m not sure how I feel about that. It’s really cool that it’s possible to flavour a tea and have it taste like it’s not flavoured at all. On the other hand, I was looking for something caramel flavoured here, and currently this cup is not living up to the expectations I had when I saw the label on the tin. Not even a little bit.

If you are someone who normally sweetens your tea, then I think you would find it unnecessary to do so here. For someone like me who would never dream of adding any sort of sweetening agent ever, it’s coming across as something almost cloying. I haven’t sweetened my tea at all since I was a young child, save for the occasional experiment which usually didn’t work anyway, and right now this cup is reminding me of why I don’t want to start again.

I won’t say I dislike it, because it certainly is drinkable, and perhaps I was supposed to steep it longer than I did, but this is not what I understand a caramel flavoured anything to be. This? This is black tea with sugar in it. That’s it. I’m not even sure I would say it tastes like something that has anything to do with caramel as such. It’s no where near the likes of Kusmi’s caramel or the LPdT Toffee.

The Imperial Breakfast Summer blend from Verdant tea that I enjoyed this morning was more caramel-y than this. And that one wasn’t even flavoured with anything.

1 https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/MbjM_x5Os07M4xcvtjtsqDt0rtk7VScRcTAqR2hWR8Q?feat=directlink

Auggy

I don’t know how long you steeped it, but the package suggests 5 minutes. For me, that’s much too tannic so I’ve been hanging out at 4 minutes. I did try it at 3 minutes once but it was… bland to say the least. So maybe up the steep time to get more oomph? That being said, I think we are in the same boat – this will never be my go to Caramel tea.

Angrboda

In this size pot I never do more than two on a first steep. I’d never do five on a first steep in any pot! O.o I do four in the large pot. I could probably press myself to try three minutes, but I’m not sure I’d be able to do a four minute first steep in the RK without wincing. A lot.

ashmanra

Beautiful tea ware!

Angrboda

I know! People can have their yixing clay and little gaiwans in peace for my sake, so long as I can have my RK fine bone china. :)

JacquelineM

Yay! Absolutely beautiful.

Terri HarpLady

Beautiful! I love butterflies & birds, & there’s something almost irreverent where those piggies are concerned! Love it!

Angrboda

Terri, yes, that’s my Please Shut The Gate pot. I’ve got seven mugs in that series as well. I saw it in a window of a small shop some three or four years ago and immediately decided to give it to myself as a birthday present. Best pot I ever owned. So cute and it pours really well, with hardly any spilling from the spout at all. Therefore I didn’t have to consider it for even a split second before deciding to replace it with new pots of the same brand. :)

Comments

Auggy

ashmanra