This one isn’t backlogged, and this sample is all I’ve got so perhaps it’s unwise to have it now when still not at full health. However, it’s a Chaplon tea and perfectly available for repurchase another time, so it’s not a big deal.

I bought a sample of this with my Chaplon order from not long ago. Cranberry is for me one of those flavours that are difficult to resist but never really manage to be truly spectacular unless mixed with something else. The Late Summer blend from AC Perchs is one we keep at work and has cranberry and vanilla in an absolutely wonderful combination. I’ve also once had a cranberry and orange and almonds, I think it was, blend that I received in a swap. Can’t remember the name of it or who shared it with me, but that was pretty awesome too. Cranberry on its own though? There have been a few good ones but not on the same scale really that I can recall. So I’m drawn to it and the perpetual mild disappointment. A bit like with vanilla, really. This is not the search for the perfect cranberry flavoured tea, though. It’s just a compulsion.

The aroma of this is very cranberry-y and all juicy smelling. It reminds me of dried cranberries, which, apart from juice and flavouring, is really the only sort of cranberry flavour I’m familiar with. I’ve seen you can get them fresh in the supermarket at the moment, but I don’t know what I’d use them for. Are they even edible raw? I seem to have read once that they aren’t.

I can vaguely pick up some of the base underneath. It smells kind of grainy and is described by Chaplon as ‘fairly robust’, although they don’t seem to be wanting to give me any more information regarding origin than that. I can’t pick up enough of it, though, partly due to the flavouring and partly due to the state of my sinuses that I can make any guess at where it might be from.

The flavour is totally cranberry-y. It’s exactly like eating dried cranberries, complete with the touch of astringency that these berries have. The flavouring is fairly strong but it seems to be only on the surface of the sip, where the body of it is the base tea with just a few smidgens of flavouring. It makes me wish I was in a state to taste it properly, but what I can pick up of it seems very nice. I’m getting the impression that this is a base that is right up my particular alley of preference. I wonder what it could be. I suspect it’s possibly a blend. I would quite like to have some of it without flavouring as well. I think I might like to write to Chaplon and ask, I’m feeling really very curious about this now. The worst that could happen is they say that they won’t disclose the information. (I can’t imagine that they don’t know. That would be silly.)

Chaplon recommends blending it with a mild Ceylon black for a milder flavouring, but for me I don’t really think they is necessary. Sure the flavouring is strong, but it seems well balanced and I rather enjoy the sensation of it being like a sphere with the flavour on the surface and sending tendrils into the body in the middle. I don’t think I would want to mess with that balance. But of course everybody prefers a different sort of balance with these things don’t they? It’s cool that it’s possible.

Funnily enough, this is a flavour that just keeps on giving, because although cranberries aren’t really something that is considered particularly soothing when it comes to the common cold, it seems to be helping a little anyway. Or possibly it’s just the drinking of something warm, I don’t know. There’s just something in it that makes me feel just a tiny bit of relief and refreshment. It’s not impossible that I might buy some of this another time.

Claire

Cranberries can’t be eaten raw, they have to be cooked/baked/dried. :)

Angrboda

That’s what I thought. I wonder if I could come up with something nice with them. They sort of tempt me when I see them. I like them dried and as juice, so I want to try them other ways as well. Shame Husband is vegetarian, I could imagine them doing well in some sort of beef stew or something.

Ellyn

Is it because they are poisonous or because they are just SO TART no one would want to eat them?

Claire

I think they’re just so tart raw that they aren’t edible. Around Thanksgiving and Christmas I like to make a gluten free crisp with apples and cranberries. Just let the sliced applies and the whole cranberries soak in sugar and lemon juice for about an hour, and for the crumble topping I mix almond flour, brown sugar, and butter. It’s yummy!

Angrboda

Oooh I love that sort of dessert! Rhubarb crumble with custard is one of my favourite puddings when we’re in the UK. I have a recipe somewhere from a blog by a woman calling herself Formerchef (look her up, she has lots of great things) which has nectarines and strawberries. Very nommy!

Terri HarpLady

I actually eat them raw, thinly sliced & mixed with diced apples & toasted nuts on top. Of course, you have to be careful & make it mostly apples, with a small handful of cranberries. I got in the habit of eating them years ago, when I had kidney problems. I also used to drink straight unsweetened cranberry juice, usually diluted, & it is rediculously tart! When I gave up all milk-related products, my kidney issues miraculously went away!

Terri HarpLady

Claire, that dessert sounds awesome!

Comments

Claire

Cranberries can’t be eaten raw, they have to be cooked/baked/dried. :)

Ellyn

Terri HarpLady

Claire, that dessert sounds awesome!

The Formalities