drank Indian Lemon by Chaplon

This is my third green tea in, oh, about a week I think! It all started that day when I suddenly had this green tea craving. It’s a whole little phase with me, I think. I wonder how long it’s going to continue, because it’s a peculiar time of year to develop such a phase.

Still, I don’t mind. I would like to be more of a green tea drinker, but it’s just more than reasonably difficult to find any that can truly compete with my love for the black tea types.

But, here is another one! This one I got as a sample from Chaplon with my recent order and I initially chose it because I thought it was an Indian green tea flavoured with lemon. I didn’t actually bother with reading the description until now, because it turns out that it’s a blend of Sencha and Chun Mee flavoured with lemon oil from a variety of lemon called Indian Lemon.

Aha. Learn every day and all that jazz.

The dry leaf smelled mostly lemon juice-y and after brewing there is something along the lemon note which must be the base tea. It’s just coming across as sort of spicy. Kind of pepper-y, bizarre as that may sound. There are also the more standard sort of green tea notes, the vegetal leafyness, but mostly it’s lemon and this funny sort of spicy sub-note.

The flavour is not as fresh and perky as I had expected. It doesn’t give me that sort of ‘Ooooh refreshment!’ spike of tartness and summer that lemon normally gives me. I think this is caused by the blended base. Had the base been a single tea, it would have been a sharper flavour, I think. As it’s a blend of two on their own already pretty flavourful teas, the base has become far broader and has much more presence. It seems to cover many more flavour points than any single tea of each type could, and somehow manages not to make a mess of it. And stretched over this whole thing, is a fairly strong lemon.

And it is a strong lemon. This lemon reminds of those really cheap Earl Greys, where the bergamot has been stretched with lemon flavour. It’s actually very close that same flavour, only here it’s much better than in something pretending to be Earl Grey exactly because it’s not claiming to be an Earl Grey.

As a flavoured green tea, this is very nice, and I suspect Husband might enjoy this one. I have used half my sample for this cup and will make sure to share the other half with him.

As something to take care of these green tea cravings, however, it’s not really working. It just seems like an entirely different beast than a clean, single-type green tea.

mpierce87

What’s strange is that I’ve been a green tea kick lately also. I usually go to black tea or oolong this time of the year, but those are being pushed to the back of the tea cupboard by greens.

Auggy

I kept trying to figure out what the extra taste in this one was ‘cause the lemon didn’t seem quite normal. Then I saw “1% koldpresset bergamot oile”. While I speak zero Danish, I’ve cottoned on enough to figure out why the lemon is a bit odd! :)
(And while I still think it is odd, I keep sip-sip-sipping it like crazy!)

Angrboda

I hadn’t even seen that! I had to go and search for it myself. Funny they didn’t put that information on their site, really.

Auggy

Hehe! I’m glad I saw it then. I actually was studying the label since I could pick out enough to get the guidelines of how to brew (so I knew what directions I was going to ignore) when I saw the ingredient list with that. It was sort of a lightbulb moment because before seeing it, I was sniffing the tea thinking “there’s something odd about that lemon…”

Angrboda

Wow, I just thought, since they had pointed out which particular lemon sort they had used, it was something characteristic for that particular lemon…

Comments

mpierce87

Auggy

(And while I still think it is odd, I keep sip-sip-sipping it like crazy!)

The Formalities