drank Butterbeer by 52teas

This is turning into an old song, but here’s another one that I was highly sceptical of. Yes, I’m a Harry Potter fan too, but even while reading the books no amount of mentions of butterbeer made me want to try it. I don’t like beer at all (foul stuff) and I don’t like things that aren’t butter to have a strong butter-y flavour. I couldn’t even seek refuge in the Danish translation of the books because a) the translation is rather shaky in places and b) the Danish translator has chosen to translate it as ginger beer, which… ew, I don’t like that either. So no, I can’t claim that I’m in any way looking forward to drinking something that I imagine will taste like a combination of beer and liquid butter.

The dry leaf smells sort of like rubber. It’s that rootbeer-y smell that does it. I’ve only had rootbeer once in my life and at that time I wasn’t really certain whether I liked it or not, but was leaning in the direction of ‘acquired taste’. It was that rubbery note that broke it for me, as I recall. Well. It’s better than my initial thought of what it might be, I suppose.

After steeping the rubbery smell is still there, but it’s changed in character to something that smells a bit like Jenka chewing gum. (Has that ever even been available outside of Scandinavia at all?)

Flavourwise, yeah, I’m getting a lot of what I recall of the root beer, and also a certain degree of butter. The whole thing has a brownish, sort of murky flavour and it’s really kind of indescribable apart from that.

At least it doesn’t taste like beer. That would have been right horrid.

As it is though, it’s definitely not something for me. Sorry, I can’t drink this. It’s not working for me at all.

KittyLovesTea

I had a very similar experience with this tea and I ended up trading the rest of it away. Still it’s nice to see that I’m not the only one that didn’t like it, the ratings are rather impressive. Maybe we just both dislike chicory?

Helena

more for the rest of us :D

Fjellrev

Jenka isn’t anywhere in NA I don’t think. So glad I passed on this.

Angrboda

Incendiare, it doesn’t seem to be around here anymore either. I remember it from when I was a child (there was also one called Shake which was licorice flavoured and another one that I can’t for the life of me recall)

Angrboda

Kitty, it’s not impossible. I don’t think I’ve ever had chicory before in a way where I could say what that specifically tasted like. I ended up having to make something else to wash it down with.

Helena, you’re welcome to it. :)

Comments

KittyLovesTea

Helena

more for the rest of us :D

Fjellrev

Jenka isn’t anywhere in NA I don’t think. So glad I passed on this.

Angrboda

Helena, you’re welcome to it. :)

The Formalities