drank Pu Ti Cha by TeaSpring

I never thought I’d ever actually drink this tea. I mean just read the description. It’s sanctified! It’s speshul! It’s… It’s… It’s… !!!

It’s enormously expensive, is what it is. 9 grams = $5.10 The 108 g box = $ 55.60

But how could I not get a packet? Sanctified tea! Speshul! I might never get the chance to own something unique like this again.

I’m not sure what possessed me to make it today. Maybe it should have been saved for a special occasion like a good bottle of champagne? Thing is though, I know from experience that if you save a really expensive bottle of champagne for a special occasion then you’ll never get around to tasting it because you never know if there might be an occasion that was even more special. And when you finally DO open the champagne, it’s gone dull. This happened to my parents with the bottle of Dom Perignon they bought at the winery when we were on holiday in France. Talk about a disappointment. (Yes, it’s possible it wasn’t stored correctly. But still.) I wasn’t old enough to like wine yet when I was that age, so I at least was spared.

Anyway, I didn’t want to not have this special tea anymore, but I didn’t want aforementioned fate to befall it either. That would have been worse, so I’ve made a small pot of it now, using half the leaves, and I’m going to wring as many steeps out of it as I can.

The dry leaves are large and very dark brown, almost black. They don’t seem to have all that much aroma to speak of, but it is there. Delicate and I seem to be picking up a note of something chocolatey. When steeped the chocolate note is less pronounced but it’s still there, underneath some more sweetly floral notes. It smells very nice!

The flavour is also a delicate one. I pretty much agree with Teaspring’s description of flowery sweetness. Possibly more flowery than sweet, but it’s close enough. Not much in the way of aftertaste initially, but again, I find myself agreeing with Teaspring’s description. It sort of builds up as you drink.

I find I’m liking this a lot. I could most definitely see myself stocking up on this tea, although I would probably go for an ordinary Da Hong Pao and not this sanctified stuff that costs an ungodly amount of money.

But it is still kinda fun to own it. :)

Carolyn

I’m so glad you’ve tried this and written about it! I have been wondering whether the more expensive teas are worth it.

I’m eyeing this beauty: http://tinyurl.com/yk3kabn which is a better version of one of my favorite black teas. I’m wondering how I can justify paying $21.80 for a mere 10 grams (.35 ounces) of tea, even if it is a better variety of my favorite. I may take the plunge (or at least weigh your experience) after hearing this.

I think if I did buy it, I’d have to drink it while dressed as Inara and while sitting in a very, very beautiful place.

Angrboda

Yes, that’s exactly why I ended up buying this one. I could have got one just like it for much much much less, but the uniqueness of it was just too much to withstand.

If I were you and I was shopping anyway, I’d probably go for the smaller 2 g sample first. And then keep it around forever because I couldn’t make myself use it because it’s a special edition. So I don’t know how much use I am. :)

I’ve been told I have a spine made of winegum on such issues, so I say go for it. :p

(Personally, for once, I’m happy with the shipping rates to Denmark being what they are. Keeps me out of trouble.)

Carolyn

That sounds like a good idea. I may have to wait to have a large enough order to make the shipping make sense.

Jillian

Cool, it seems like a big part of this is just the experience. And even if you aren’t Buddist I think there can be something really special about taking part in something with significance like this.

I am glad the quality wasn’t a bust and that you enjoyed the taste as well.

Angrboda

Yes, I was a bit worried about it having gone stale, because I’ve had standing around for over a year. And of course I’d opened the packet too and poured it into a tin because I was too curious about what the leaves looked and smelled like. I’ve saved the little foil bag it was in though. :)

Now we’ll see if I get good luck and whatnot. Maybe it can guard me against swine flu ;)

Comments

Carolyn

Jillian

I am glad the quality wasn’t a bust and that you enjoyed the taste as well.

The Formalities