drank Duan Wu Jie by Chaplon

Wow, just like one can post while drunk for some potientially hilarious and cringe-worthy result, one can do the same while sleep deprived. But probably shouldn’t. I swear I was only drinking TEA! O.o Anyway, as predicted I slept like a rock last night. This morning I’m still sleepy and in bad need of tea.

And we’re continuing in the theme of teas I forgot I had. This one was actually a shame to forget. It’s the last I’ve got of it and it’s the only flowering tea I’ve got at the moment. It’s the tea that prompted me to buy a godawful ugly clear cheap as dirt plastic teapot a while back, so I could see what was going on while steeping. This isn’t a recent picture at all, but it’s the same tea.
Picture: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/MixL4_NVJrzPfQ_PbE3TTQ?feat=directlink

I don’t know if the light in the picture is off or if I steeped it longer before taking the picture back then, but it’s not really quite as dark as it looks like in the picture. Same sort of shade, but lighter.

I must admit I forgot to sniff it before pouring water on it, but after steeping and decanting it smells rather a lot like… boiled broccoli. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. I like broccoli. And with a little butter in the water while boiling, yum.

The tea itself possible has an aroma. My nose is only partly closed up, but I’m still having difficulties picking up smell. If I close my eyes and concentrate I can pick up a sweet floral sort of smell which probably comes from the osmanthus flowers inside the bud. It doesn’t smell perfumed though, it’s just sort of there.

There isn’t really all that much in the way of flavour. I’ve taken several sips trying to figure out what it tastes like, but I’m getting very little. There is zero tail on this. No after taste what so ever. Some experimenting with slurping and generally bad table manners can provoke a little bit of after taste which sort of reminds me a bit of liquorice root, but if you just take a normal sip there’s nothing.

All show, no flavour. It IS pretty to look at though.

JMKauftheil

“It’s the tea that prompted me to buy a godawful ugly clear cheap as dirt plastic teapot”

“All show, no flavour. It IS pretty to look at though.”

Is that not a universal flowering tea story? I don’t think I’ve tried, or talked to someone who’s tried a truly enjoyable and tasty flowering tea.

Angrboda

It certainly has been for me. The only one I can remember having had that was better than just mediocre was this jasmine thing that was pretty much rescued by the jasmine. And, let’s face it, I could have got a just as good (or better) ordinary jasmine green instead.

This stuff should never be bought with the expectiation of culinary epiphanies, because that way lies only disappointment.

But they’re pretty enough to still be fascinating. If I could steep it until it unfurled just right and then stop the process and prevent it from going bad, it would be an awesome little thing to have around just for decoration.

Comments

JMKauftheil

“All show, no flavour. It IS pretty to look at though.”

Angrboda