drank Ceylon FOP by Fru P Kaffe & The

Hello Steepsterites! No, I haven’t forgotten you. I have in fact been around and reading most days. Just been a bit busy. Husband started his new job shortly before I posted the last post, and at the moment his commute is absolutely horrid. There is a car purchase in his near future which will cut his commute time in half or there abouts. So as it is, he’s home pretty late every day and I don’t really see very much of him.

Now, however, I’ve got a long holiday of about 2½ weeks in front of me, and there should be more time to keep up with you lot as well.

Project Ceylon!

Yes, I’ve made it through the samples from Nothing But Tea. What I have left now is this one, which I got in that delicacies shop that shares my name, and by coincidence discovered that it wasn’t actually a generic blend as the name would have me believe. I’ve also got my two Chaplon Ceylons, Galle and Uva Highlands, which I want to revisit for Project Ceylon as well. That’s going to be difficult, especially when it comes to Galle, because I’ve had about half the tin so far and I’ve started to know it pretty well. That makes it harder to analyse, I think, because I know what I’m expecting to be there and it affects my experience of the cup I’m actually having. Bit like how I avoid reading other people’s notes on a tea while I’m writing my own post.

I suppose with Galle and Uva Highlands, those are so relatively new in my cupboard that I could just find the first post I’ve done of each and have that count towards the reference map, but somehow that feels like cheating.

Now, back on topic. This one comes from Pettiagala and since it was a coincidence that I spotted that name on her bag in the shop, I’ve had to find my own information on it by way of Google and Teh Interwebz. As far as I could determine, it’s a high grown tea, grown at about 1500 meters above the surface of the sea.

The aroma of the dry leaf has a bit of wood and a bit of malt, and with a touch of something floral on top of it all. I can’t find any of the leather-y notes that appear to have been more or less universal in the Ceylon teas I’ve tried so far. This doesn’t worry me too much, though, because the scent of the dry leaf have been completely difference from how it presents itself when brewed before.

So after steeping, I’m on the lookout for that leather-y note, but once again I can’t find it. It’s still a bit floral and a bit malty, and it has also gain a hint of grain and a good deal of sweetness. That sweetness strikes me as somewhere in between honey and caramel. Neither one nor the other, but with elements of both.

Judging from that aroma, I’m counting on the flavour to really pay up, but unfortunately the leather-y note is still missing. A bit malty, a bit floral and a bit grainy, just like the aroma. But the leather-y note just isn’t there and there doesn’t appear to be any other notes in there that takes up that particular place in the flavour profile, which just makes the whole thing taste a bit thin.

Shame that.

This one comes off as pedestrian at best. It’s a good enough tea, and the taste is pleasant. It’s by no means a bad tea. It’s worse than that. It’s just kinda boring…

Reference map: http://goo.gl/maps/0LJ8r

Ysaurella

I understand how your husband should feel, my company moved and now my commute is more than 3h/day (1hour and a half morning and near 2 hours the evening…)

Angrboda

Yeah, his is about 5 hours a day at the moment. He’s going with my dad to look at a car on Friday though, so hopefully they’ll decide that it’s a good car and buy it. Then he’ll only have an hour each way. The problem is that you can’t get from where we live to the job on public transport without going on a big detour. With a car he can get there directly.

Ysaurella

I see- this is the same for me.The point is I don’t drive…as I was living inside Paris for years and working inside Paris, I never pass the driving licence…now I feel I should :)
Hope the car was nice enough to get bought and your husband recovers correct commute timings.

Angrboda

Well, he hasn’t been yet, it’s not until Friday. :)
I don’t drive either, I never learned. I don’t really want to learn either. The thought of me behind the wheel of a car rather frightens me. You can do a lot of damage with one of those things. O.o

Comments

Ysaurella

Angrboda

Well, he hasn’t been yet, it’s not until Friday. :)

The Formalities