drank Wild Pu-Erh 2008 by Chaplon

This sample has been clean forgotten. I was just looking through my box of things yet to post about and there it was. I see that I need to do some translation work on the description of it. I’ll get to it right away when I’m finished writing this post.

Wild pu-erh. Well, this sample was indeed quite wild. I fumbled a bit, taking the little bag of leaves out of the wrapping and dropped it on the floor. This, apparently, was completely irresistable to a passing and equally wild Charm-kitty, who proceeded to bat it violently across the dining room floor. The bag was sealed though, so no harm done. It looked funny, though.

The aroma is thick and earthy and pu-erh-y. It’s like… default pu-erh. This is what I think of, when someone says pu-erh. There is a kind of sweetish, fruity sort of jam-ish note in there as well, which rather reminds me of strawberry jam without actually smelling like strawberry at all.

If the aroma is default pu-erh, the flavour is a bit of a shock. There’s nothing default about this at all, and to be honest it tastes more like a black tea with a pu-erh-y edge rather than an actual pu-erh (which of course it is). I believe this is what Chaplon also mentions in the description as being less earthy and heavy then most pu-erhs because the trees it’s harvested from are so very old that they aren’t affected as heavily by the aging process. Chaplon calls it a more elegant pu-erh, but personally I wonder if that’s not just some sort of attempt to NOT say that maybe it would have benefitted from seven years more in storage…

That said, however, I find it quite pleasant. I rather like that feels more like drinking a black tea. I don’t know why I don’t drink more pu-erh, really. I do enjoy it quite a lot, but somehow I’m just not as interested in it as I am in black tea. Which is also funny, because you would think that this type would be much more interesting, wouldn’t you?

As for the actual flavour, I’m getting leather and wood at first. That’s a fairly sharp tasting sort of combination, and it makes me immediately search for something rounder such as cocoa and/or grain. No luck, though. Instead there’s just the earthy note of the pu-erh, reminding me of what it actually is I’m drinking and otherwise doing that same sort of rounding out task.

But there must be more to it than this, right? I sip and sip and sip and I find… nothing. Leather, wood, earth. That’s it. Something that tastes decidedly pu-erh-y, but feels black.

Often, as a cup of tea cools a bit, it develops more and other notes come into play, or the previously noticed ones change either in strength or in character. I was hoping that it would be the same with this one, but now that I have waited a while, I can tell you that it doesn’t appear to be the case. It tastes exactly the same. The same notes in the same proportions.

It’s nice and all, but… That’s it really.

Kashyap

sounds like a shou/shu pu erh…and I have found that on the whole, most seem to grow smoother as they age, though rarely more complex. There have been a few exceptions…but the explosive flavors and exotic notes are definitely more in the Sheng….I love drinking Shu after heavy foods and dinner

Bonnie

I love shu in the mornings during Winter too.

Angrboda

It was. I tend not to enjoy sheng so much. Frequently I find them a bit too vegetal.

Angrboda

Bonnie, yes, I tend to think of pu-erh as a morning sort of tea as well. Mind you, I don’t usually allocate teas to specific times of day, but I do try to put some thought into which tea to serve on Pancake Saturdays. Pu-erh fills that spot nicely, actually. I’m glad you reminded me of it. I have that other one that Husband’s parents gave me for Christmas. I think I’ll serve that one next time.

shu’s also make wonderful chai bases

Angrboda

Meh, I’m not a chai-person, really. :)

Comments

Kashyap

Bonnie

I love shu in the mornings during Winter too.

shu’s also make wonderful chai bases

Angrboda

Meh, I’m not a chai-person, really. :)

The Formalities