Oh dear, I can feel that this is going to be a really long post. I’ll let you all know when I’m going to actually start writing about the tea, so you can skip ahead if you like.

My Teavivre order arrived! I wasn’t even expecting it yet. I’ve ordered stuff from China before, obviously, and I know it usually takes a couple of weeks to get here, but I don’t know why I hadn’t realised that it had actually been that long since I ordered.

Oh well, I’m certainly not complaining! :D I have unpacked my tea and the cats have given the box and the wrappings a very thorough sniffing. I don’t know what they kept the wrapping supplies next to in China, but whatever it is, it’s very interesting to cats.

While the wrapping was undergoing such a detailed inspection, I tried to decide which one to try first. And then I smacked my forehead because DUH! Self, don’t be an eedjit. You obviously start with the Tan Yang.

If you are wondering what’s so obvious about that, you have not been following me for long enough. Fujian produces the majority of all my very favourite black teas, and my most beloved type of all is Tan Yang. This is the type where I have been known to draw little hearts on the label. So yeah. Obvious. :)

The first time I ordered from Teavivre, I believe the company was still very young, but they had marched right into the hearts of many Steepsterites with their high quality and their sample program. For me, it was the Bailin gong fu that finally drew me in and made me place that first order. There was a contact form on the site that you could fill out if you had questions or suggestions, so I asked if they were planning on stocking a Tan Yang in the future. I can’t remember what exactly the reply was, but I think I was told that they would look into it.

Some time passed and eventually Teavivre did indeed offer a Tan Yang. Oh, how I coveted it! But unfortunately circumstances conspired against me and I didn’t feel like the time was right to buy it. We’ve been frugal, you know, what with having our wedding and then a bit later Husband having a stint with unemployedness, and now we want to start saving up so we can eventually buy a house. It’ll probably be at least a year before we’ll even consider talking to the bank, but we still have to start now.

So I sat here and watched other people drink this highly coveted tea, and then I COULD NOT TAKE IT ANY LONGER, flails AAAAAAAAARGH!!!! pant pant

I cracked and ordered. As long as I control myself I can totally save up and buy interesting tea now and then at the same time. Besides, I was getting to that point where every time I saw someone write about it, I felt a little guilty that I hadn’t bought any myself yet. You know, having suggested that they get some in their shop…

Okay, the actual drinking of the tea starts here!

The aroma is quite mild, and it’s has a bit of a honeyed caramel-ish note to it. There’s a little bit of grain underneath too. I suspect this is a more well behaved version than the (Most Highly Beloved of All) Te Ji I get from TeaSpring. But then again, that one is pretty unruly at times, so it wouldn’t be difficult to be better behaved.

Oh, so sweet! So caramel-y! There’s a bit of malt and cocoa as well, but I think it tastes mostly like sugar and caramel. I mentioned yesterday that I don’t like sugar in tea, but what I meant was that I don’t like sugar added to tea. When it is naturally occurring like this, I like it just fine. It has to do with the way added sugar changes the mouthfeel for me. Anyway, first sip gives my sugar-y caramel-y flavouring, and a summerly note of… sip sip grass?

GRASS??? o.O Well, that’s new. It’s not in overwhelming amounts, though, (like what happens with most Darjeelings for me) so it doesn’t become unpleasant.

Underneath that, and especially at the moment just before I swallow is the very important grain-y note. An awesome Fujian would only be half as awesome without that note. There is only one type of tea in which a good strong note of grain is more important, and that’s in Keemuns.

Still, like with all the notes in here, it’s fairly calm and civilized and to my surprise I find I quite enjoy that. I mean, I love that the Te Ji tastes so riotously wild sometimes, but I’m getting older and slower, and sometimes it’s better with a tea that matches.

My cup appears to have become empty… I don’t usually finish drinking before I’m finished writing. I must have needed it.

That’s it. If anybody needs me further today, I’ll be in the kitchen drawing little hearts on this label.

i’ll need to add this one to my next order

Angrboda

I went for the one that came with a tin. It’s a really nice tin too. Double lid and everything. :)

Dinosara

Yay! Glad to hear that you love this one.

Angrboda

I do! I slurped it all down in big mouthfuls. I just couldn’t stop!

Hallieod

Wow – I know nothing about any of these teas, and I’m craving this one so much now! :) Love the whole tasting note.

Angrboda

Hallieod, go forth and introduce yourself to Tan Yang. :D It’s my favourite type ever and if you enjoy Keemuns or the Laoshan Black from Verdant, I think you would enjoy Tan Yang as well.

Hallieod

I will obey! I will benefit from your kind words and not try to imitate your restraint in buying! (I have a sample of the Laoshan Black from Sil, and have been keeping it for the perfect sampling occasion, but now I have a mission, so will try it tomorrow. And then order from Teavivre!)

LadyLondonderry

As soon as I read “Tan Yang,” I knew where this review was going. :) Glad you’ve found another one to love!

ashmanra

Ordering!

Angrboda

LadyLondonderry, sometimes I suspect that people who have followed me for 30 seconds would guess that. :p

Ashmanra, you won’t regret it. (But if you do, I’ll drink it for you)

Rie

Angrboda,
Just to confirm your suspicions, the first thing I knew for certain about you was your love of Fujian black. :D

LOL! :D Hardly a secret, is it. :D

ssajami

Angrboda, quite a while ago, as a direct result of reading one of your glowing reviews of the Tan Yang Te Ji, I added some of it to my TeaSpring order.

I have since become thoroughly addicted to that tea. Each time I replenish, my supply of Te Ji disappears so very quickly. There is not a single tea in my stock that I go through so fast, and sadly, I cannot re-order it as often as I’d like. Sigh.

So yeah, now you’ve got me coveting another Tan Yang….

Mwahahaha!! My work here is done. :D

KenS

Love the post, I really enjoy your passionate writing and plan on trying one of these soon :o)

Comments

i’ll need to add this one to my next order

Dinosara

Yay! Glad to hear that you love this one.

Angrboda

I do! I slurped it all down in big mouthfuls. I just couldn’t stop!

LadyLondonderry

ashmanra

Ordering!

Angrboda

Ashmanra, you won’t regret it. (But if you do, I’ll drink it for you)

Rie

Angrboda,

LOL! :D Hardly a secret, is it. :D

ssajami

So yeah, now you’ve got me coveting another Tan Yang….

Mwahahaha!! My work here is done. :D