drank Raspberry Oolong by A C Perch's

Good morning Steepster.

Someone has, while I’ve been sleeping, logged a white tea with blueberry. You’ll forgive me for not have paid attention to who you were, sorry. At any rate, it inspired me this morning. And you would think that this inspiration would mean to make something with a white tea. Or something with blueberries. Er… well it’s got berries in it. And it smells heavenly. All sweet and fruity and it’s full of dried berries. It’s the sort of tea that you almost don’t even have to drink. Just sit around and sniff the tin. Yum.

Due to the nature of the cup I’m using this morning I can’t really tell you about the colour, but it looks like a light golden one while pouring. The brew smell primarily of oolong with a heavy berry note on top. I get associations to desserts and cakes and bakeries. A nice raspberry muffin, oh yes.

This development continues in taste. Where the dry leaves smelled heavily of berries and the brew was sort of half and half leaning towards the oolong, the taste is very primarily oolong and then a nice fruity sweetness, as if has been sweetened with fruit instead of sugar. Note, I haven’t actually added sugar or anything else. It’s extremely rare that I add anything to my tea, and if I do, I promise you’ll hear about it. But IF I had sweetened it, it tastes like I’ve used fruit instead of sugar, and… Okay this is turning strange. I’m even beginning to confuse myself. I’ll just stop.

teaplz

I’m not a fan of adding anything to my cup either. But I think I know what you mean! A natural sweetness is coming from a fruit sugar rather than a sugarcane sugar. I love it when that happens. It tastes so much more natural.

I can never add sugar to my tea, because I can always taste it, and it tastes ridiculously fake.

Suzi

I’ll add honey to oversteeped black tea, but that’s about the only time I use sweeteners. I prefer the ‘natural’ taste of the tea whenever possible!

This tea sounds very yummy :D

Angrboda

Exactly. Sugar is something that I add if something has been mistreated a bit and has gone bitter, or if I’m going to ice something, since I prefer my iced tea to be sweet. Always cane sugar although it’s more expensive, because it’s a rounder sort of sweetness than the white beet sugar that is most common here. Cane sugar has a more natural sort of sweetness than beet sugar which is just… sweet. Or maybe it’s phychological thing. I don’t actually know if I can taste a difference in the two types of sugar if I tried, but it’s just as much the fact that I know it.

I do milk (never ever cream) sometimes in heavy blacks or as experiments with flavoured blacks if I think they can carry it but most often I prefer it without.

Angrboda

Suzi: You’re right, I use liquid honey sometimes too, but mostly if the tea already has a honey note. It’s really rare though.

It is a very yummy tea, but although I’m sure you could use their webshop, I think you would run into the same problem as I have with most other tea vendors. Hideously horrible shipping charges!

Auggy

Glad my blueberry white inspired your totally different tea. Hehe! Yay berries?

Ah so it was you. :D Yeah. Berries. :p

Auggy

Yes, it was me – but I’m only admitting it because you liked the tea you drank because of it. If you hadn’t, I’d be hiding in a corner, attempting to blend into the wall. :)

Suzi

Angrboda: Ouch on the shipping charges! Usually I don’t get caught by the nastiest ones, because there’s so many companies based in the US, but AC Perch is super expensive to ship here :-( I guess I’ll just enjoy the tea vicariously through you!

Angrboda

Auggy: Don’t worry. This is my nearly-as-good-as-sweets tea. :) And I got if by coincidence too because I just wanted to buy some lapsang souchong and figured I’d see what else they had before checking out. And then this one, and the book and the seriously expensive nepalese oolong just sort of jumped into the basket as well. :)

Suzi: I’m not surprised. It’s the Atlantic’s fault. Everything gets expensive when it has to cross the Atlantic. :(

Hyrulehippie

@teaplz- I’m glad someone besides me thinks that sugar in tea tastes fake. I really don’t like adding anything to my cup, but I see that it’s necessary sometimes. Oddly enough I generally prefer stevia to sugar, though.

That said, I really really like tea that’s sweet on its own.

Comments

teaplz

This tea sounds very yummy :D

Auggy

Glad my blueberry white inspired your totally different tea. Hehe! Yay berries?

Ah so it was you. :D Yeah. Berries. :p

Hyrulehippie

That said, I really really like tea that’s sweet on its own.

The Formalities