Can I just start with a small rant here? Twinings’ listing of teas in the database is a mess. A mess! There seem to be so many duplicates and at least one instance of the product description actually having a paragraph about the tea in question NOT being a duplicate of another variety with the same name. So I couldn’t find a proper entry for the particular one that I’m having now, but I did find this. A variety pack entry? I’m sorry, but isn’t that just kinda lazy? Shouldn’t the five different varieties all have their own entry in the database? Why would you enter it as a variety pack where nobody can see what it is you are actually drinking? I don’t get it.

But then, I’m finding myself with a fairly low amount of ‘get’ today and also not too much in the way of patience, really. We just got back from England around midnight last night (family occasion, and not one of the happy ones), and we’ve been half staff at work today. Add to that being extremely tired from aforementioned travelling and little sleep and the scratchy throat that I seem to have picked up somewhere between England and Denmark.

Aforementioned family occasion, which I don’t think we need to go further into, was an out of town sort of affair, so we stayed overnight at a bed and breakfast and this is where we come to the relevant to Steepster bit.

In our room, I had three kinds of tea bags. PG Tips (Pretty dire. The Lipton of the UK. But at least it was a black tea), some sort of cheap green in a bag and a chamomile and spicy apple sort of concoction. Or, as I put it to Husband, “I have one choice and two others.”

The latter, however, was so bizarre sounding that I nicked the bag and brought it home with me, and it’s THAT ONE out of this variety pack that
I’m having now. Medicinal purposes even. See ‘scratchy throat.’

I just could not imagine this combination at all, but as it turns out it’s not really as weird as all that. Chamomile and apple are both kind of sour-sweet flavours so they match each other well, neither of them taking over and turning the cup into a mugfull of acidic bleurgh-ness. It’s actually a pretty clever combination. It is, however, still chamomile. And it’s also the least spicy spicy apple I’ve ever met. I had to actually go and look at the bag again just to assure myself that it really did say ‘spicy apple’ on it. I don’t know what it’s supposed to be spiced with, but whatever it is, it’s not working.

ashmanra

This made me think of the “Little Book of Clam” episode of Black Books! :)

Shmiracles

i seriously need to watch Black Books.
and i ALWAYS take the tea bags from hotel rooms if it’s one i haven’t tried. heck why the hell not YOLO

ashmanra

LOL! That was supposed to be CALM, not clam! Heehee!

Kittenna

I’ve cleaned up a few company’s duplicate entries and stuff, but it’s a tiresome task. I’m sure it’s even worse for Twinings/Lipton because newbs tend to drink that sort of stuff and add teas (although I don’t think they can anymore).

Angrboda

Yeah, and I think some people don’t bother searching for their tea in the database if it hasn’t been entered under the exact name that they think it should be.

Kittenna

Yep. And so many people seem to think that it’s “Twinnings”, not “Twinings”… sigh.

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

! I have an apple chamomile combo somewhere. bagged ofc. I gotta fish that out and drink it now.

Comments

ashmanra

This made me think of the “Little Book of Clam” episode of Black Books! :)

Shmiracles

i seriously need to watch Black Books.

ashmanra

LOL! That was supposed to be CALM, not clam! Heehee!

Angrboda