So far I have to say this is my favourite of the Jeniers I’ve tried so far. Although, I’m willing to admit that I may be slightly biased what with the vanilla and all. I luuuurve vanilla flavouring in tea, and it seems like it’s a love affair that is only growing. Vanilla on its own, vanilla with fruit, it’s all good. I have a tea from AC Perchs with vanilla and cranberry which I’m ever so slightly addicted to. This one both smells great and it tastes great and I can clearly taste both vanilla and fruit. I’ll make a more in depth post about it later, I think.

Tell me, though, Steepsterites. When I searched for this in the database, and awful lot of Monk’s Blends came up. Is this actually one or just similar? I was under the impression that Monk’s Blend was more floral.

Dinosara

There seem to be two different types of “Monk’s Blends.” There’s the American Monk’s Blend, which is grenadine and vanilla, and then there is the European Monk’s Blend, which is bergamot, vanilla and jasmine. The European type is also more likely to include some variant of “Tibetan” in the title (especially French companies), but I’ve had several in Poland that were called just Monk’s Blend and were the European type. Confusing!

Angrboda

It must the be European one I’ve seen then. Jasmine and bergamot would be instant turn-offs for me. Especially the former. That explains why this one isn’t actually called Monk’s Blend at all, even though it’s the same as the American MB

cteresa

That is so interesting Dinosara – it drove me crazy some tibetan teas having bergamot and vanilla and flowers and it seemed to untibetan to me (btw those were Thé au Tibet which had an old name with I think the word priest as a root, and histoire tibetaine)

cteresa

And Thé des Moines, as well, now I think of it.

what is grenadine anyway?

Angrboda

Grenadine is a sort of pomegranate syrup. It’s often used when mixing cocktails.

Thanks!

Dinosara

Yes, after having monk’s blends and “Tibetan” teas (including Thé au Tibet and Thé Des Moines) I figured out that some of the French companies might be referring to Tibetan monks in their names. Not that either flavor combination makes much sense for Tibetan monks in my opinion!

Comments

Dinosara

cteresa

And Thé des Moines, as well, now I think of it.

what is grenadine anyway?

Thanks!