drank Silver Buds Yabao by Verdant Tea

Auggy sent me another care package. It’s huge! She spoils me rotten, that woman. Note that I’m not complaining. It’s very hot here at the moment. I’ve heard rumours that there’s a chance we’ll hit 30°C Sunday and/or Monday, but I sincerely hope it will remain a rumour. I know that’s nothing compared to the around 40°C that I’ve heard the East Coast of the US is dealing with these days, but it’s still WAY too hot for me. (40°C? I would melt and I would be incredibly miserable while doing so! Just warm enough that I don’t have to wear a jacket, that’s my ideal temperature).

Given the sunny weather, I thought we should start with something not black, and I went for this one.

This stuff is funny. It’s not really leaf. It’s more like… small fat buds, several of them put together. It remids me mostly of a miniature sheaf of wheat or some such. It has a funny aroma too. I swear it smells almost exactly like warm sugar. Strange.

The tea is nearly colourless after brewing. I wonder if I should have used more not-leaf? Maybe I should, although Verdant’s description says it supposed to be very pale. It also doesn’t really have much in the way of aroma at first, but after it has been allowed a short time to rest and develop, I’m getting a minty note. Sort of spearminty, I think. I’m not superkeen on spearmint so this is where I’m hoping I haven’t just made a cup of liquid toothpaste.

It’s not liquid toothpaste, it’s… It’s… It’s a bit like if you take a coffee pot, well used and none too clean, and pour boiling water in it. Then leave that to steep for a while and taste the outcome. I imagine it might taste something like this. Or perhaps if you then steeped some chamomile in it as well, that might be closer. Chamomile with coffee notes.

The description says that this is a type that has never really won the hearts of Chinese consumers, so it’s relatively rare. I have to say I can see why. And I wouldn’t particularly mind it if it stayed that way. This is definitely not for me.

Jillian

Long time no see. :) The way you describe the tea makes it sound totally wretched, BTW. I’ll remember to avoid that one.

Angrboda

Indeed. :) Bear in mind, though, that I seem to be the odd duck out. Most people appear to have liked it.

Comments

Jillian

Angrboda