drank Ceylon Pekoe by Den Lille Tebutik

Good morning, Steepster.

We’re trying the Ceylon again this morning and trying not to oversteep it too much this time as experience showed us that we’re dealing with a pretty unforgiving tea here.

And it’s still as dark as coffee and it still has that very Ceylonish aroma. I’m a bit concerned. Why the heck did I say in my first review of this upon purchase that it was surprisingly mild?

Oh well, at least it’s not unbearably bitter this time. It’s full and strong and just a hint of bitterness when I swallow. Not bad bitterness that comes with too long steeps or bad quality leaves. It’s the sort of bitterness that’s supposed to be there. It lends… I want to say ‘character’ but I’m wondering if I’m over using the word a bit. ‘Personality’?

Anyway, if it hadn’t been for yesterday’s chai-that-wasn’t-chai-experience, I’d have said it would work well with milk for those who likes milk tea, but having tried it and not really liked it much, I can’t make myself say that in good conscience. If you like sweetened tea, though, a bit of liquid honey might work.

Jillian

0_o I was always under the impression that Ceylons were a lighter tea in most aspects than Assams and Darjeelings.

Angrboda

Ceylon. I’s doin it rong.

I can’t really find the lightness. Maybe I make it too strong.

teaplz

That’s what I would have thought, too, Jillian, since Ceylon is usually the base for a lot of flavored teas.

If you like strong tea, make it strong! :D

Angrboda

It is? I didn’t know that. Interesting. Makes sense though, since, strong or light, it has a very straight-forward taste. Your average Ceylon doesn’t seem to come with a load of typical taste notes. It’s just a tea that’s black, really.

(Oh yuck, huge red hairy spider in my tv! Remote, remote, my kingdom for a remote!)

Auggy

I totally agree about the typical Ceylon tastes. I had a really good Ceylon once that had strong raspberry notes. Mind you, I don’t like raspberry so I wasn’t a fan but excluding that little fact, it really was a very nice tea. Other Ceylons though, just seem to taste like what you said… just tea.

Angrboda

And you’re sure it wasn’t actually a raspberry tea? ;)

Auggy

Haha! Positive! Just a higher quality Ceylon with CRAZY fruit notes!

Comments

Jillian

Angrboda

Ceylon. I’s doin it rong.

I can’t really find the lightness. Maybe I make it too strong.

teaplz

If you like strong tea, make it strong! :D

Angrboda

And you’re sure it wasn’t actually a raspberry tea? ;)

Auggy

Haha! Positive! Just a higher quality Ceylon with CRAZY fruit notes!

The Formalities