This is the last one from my Jenier order that I haven’t tried before. I’m not sure why I couldn’t seem to get around to it. I tend to be quite attracted to something which has the word ‘dream’ in it for some reason, and I can’t actually put a finger on why. I suppose it just speaks to my imagination somehow. This one was further attractive by having mallow flowers in it and ‘a strong hint of blackberry’ as the site description says.

Mallow flowers plus berry flavouring tends to go down well with me. Booberry from 52teas was a shiny example of this being a good combination. The bad thing about it, though, is that it rather tends to make the leaves smell strongly of cheap synthetic bubblegum. Oh well, I can deal with that. Especially since this is not the prevalent aroma after brewing. It’s much more fruity here and blackberry-ish but not so mallow-y. I can smell the black teas as well. A blend of Assam and Ceylon, and the Assam stands out the most, probably adding the high notes while leaving the Ceylon to supply some body, I think. There’s also some kind of Chinese green in here, but that doesn’t seem to want to come out to play.

Because of the inclusion of green tea, I decided to brew at 70°C, even though Jenier categorises it as a black tea blend. I don’t know how much green is in here. It might be just a smidge, in which case the cautious temperature might not have been necessary, because I can’t really spot any obviously green leaves in the blend either. I’ll have to try it again later at 90°C and see what sort of difference that makes. Remind me to actually do this.

The flavour is very nice. The black tea is coming out surprisingly strongly in spite of the low temperature. I was not expecting that at all, so I had a bit of a “hey, what’s going on here?!!” moment at the first sip.

The blackberry is indeed a strong hint. It’s not as all-out fruity as something that would have been straight on blackberry flavoured, but there’s definitely berry flavouring in here. It’s obvious but a bit more subtle, if you understand the distinction I’m trying to make here. This is also the case with the mallow flowers. These two flavours work in perfect unison for a sweet fruity tea, but with a LOT of black tea body. I suspect this is where the green tea comes in. I wonder if it’s the green tea that, while undetectable itself, really carries the flavours here.

I expect this is a tea that is going to go quickly. It’s very enjoyable indeed! Definitely my favourite of all the flavoured ones I got from Jenier. I might get this again.

Only one other person on Steepster has posted about this tea and our experiences couldn’t be more different. Isn’t it funny how these things can go?

yyz

Sounds nice, I too like blackberries, I like their flavour better than raspberries, and I have good memories around picking them.

Comments

yyz

The Formalities