drank Ceylon Pekoe by Den Lille Tebutik

Sshhhhhh! looks shifty I’m skiving off for a few minutes!

I took this one with me to work, because frankly it’s too boring really to drink at home. I have now found out that it’s not very suitable for work either. It’s difficult to brew it consistently and there are enough distractions at work that oversteeping happens every now and then. It’s not a very forgiving tea about that.

It’s got a bitter edge today because I forgot to take the leaves out in time. I don’t think I’ll buy this one again and I’m not sure I’m going to keep it here at work. I think maybe I’ll take it home again and bring something else. If I get around to it before the tin is empty, that is.

Better get back to some sensible, productive activity.

Marie

Love your comment! To bad the tea’s a dud. I find that plain ceylon needs something to make it a tad more interesting. It’s not like a malty assam that can really hold it’s own. Do you find the same to be true?

Angrboda

I don’t know, I think maybe as Ceylons go, it’s a good Ceylon. I may have come across some flavoured things from that shop that wasn’t a big hit with me, but I can’t really put a finger on the quality. I just don’t think I’m much of a plain Ceylon person. (The weird thing, though, the REALLY weird thing, is that I had an Uva Highlands Estate a few years ago and that one was awesome. So why is this so dull?)
Maybe it would help if I could make it consistently, but whenever I make it and look at my previous comments, I can never recognise my own thoughts.

I don’t have much experience with plain Assams, so I can’t really make the comparison there.

Marie

I read that teas are like fine wines. The taste from a single estate can change from year to year due to environmental elements. That’s why blending is so popular because it’s harder to identify those changes from year to year. So the overall taste is more consistent.

Angrboda

It was funny because I was thinking about the same thing last night when Lexitus and I had a wine made on a different grape than the wine we usually have. It was a good wine, but it was an enormous surprise when I tasted it the first time. It was SO not what I was expecting to get in my mouth. And then I thought maybe Steepster had been training me in tasting stuff more thorougly.

Marie

I think you’re right. For those tea lovers who prefer single estate teas to the blends, it must be frustrating because there are tons of blogs and reports about which vintage years a stellar for wines, but I haven’t come across hardly anything that provides continually new info about vintage years for estate teas. Maybe that’s something that can be created on steepster?

Comments

Marie

The Formalities