I’ve tried this type of oolong twice before, both from TeaSpring and with a couple of years in between. The first time I thought it was wonderful so a few years later I bought it again and was faced with abject disappointment, because I really didn’t care for it any more. I believe I ended up giving the rest of it away. Recently(ish) this type of oolong had a lot of enthusiastic reviews on Steepster, in many cases this one from Teavivre in particular, so as I was putting in an order anyway, I figured I would try a sample of it. Even better, because my order reaching the price that it did, my sample was free. Ha! Win.

The leaves have a peculiar aroma because they don’t smell like an oolong at all. They smell like a black tea. I can’t actually pick much out in the way of notes, other than that high-grown-ish tobacco-y one, which was rather far from what I’d expected to find in an oolong. Try as I might I couldn’t actually find any of the notes I normally associate with oolong at all.

After steeping it’s more oolong-y and slightly floral and wooden. It’s less perplexing now and even has a faint note of fruit somewhere in there. Something peach-y, I think, but I might be influenced by the fact that I remember at one point reading about this particular type of oolong being characterised by having a note of peach. So I might be picking up some peach.

The flavour is very floral, which is a little unfortunate because I don’t much care for floral. It often comes off as a bit soapy or perfume-y to me. Oh well. Looks like the second time was I tried this type of oolong was not a fluke. Neither, mind you, do I think my first go with it was, but it was during a time where I also greatly enjoyed Darjeeling. My tastes simply changed in between the first and second time. And clearly they haven’t changed back yet. When I start drinking Darj by the liter, I’ll know to try this type of oolong again as well.

Anyway, apart from the floral notes, there’s definitely a note of fruit now, and it’s not something I’m imagining this time. It’s definitely there and it’s quite strong once you get through all the flowers. Again, I’m thinking a juicy peach. There are also some notes of wood and a slight hint of grass.

Well, the floral aspect rather put me off, so I’m glad I just got me a test sample. For someone who enjoys high grown teas, I imagine this would be excellent. For me… Well, I prefer something darker and earthy.

The Formalities

Contact Angrboda by email: iarn[email protected]
Contact Ang on IM on Google chat