I don’t know why I bought this. I don’t even like dates! O.o pokes tin
Processed dates, I can eat. Dates by themselves, no thank you. So why oh why is the first tea I see when first visiting 52teas.com a date flavoured one that makes me all yearning to try it? No, I don’t get it either.

The dry leaves have big pieces of coconut in them and they smell like… like… like… I don’t know actually. They have a VERY strong smell that’s making me sniff-taste the tin, and finally coming to the conclusion that the aroma that I’m picking up is coming from the label which I’ve cut off the pouch to label the tin with. The aroma is sticking to it so much that I can smell it as if it was right under my nose even though it’s lying an arm’s length away from me.
It smells sort of like perfume. Not artificial, just something that you could imagine being a note in a perfume. It’s got a sort of spicy-ish but not quite smell. It’s a sort of smell that’s easily recognisable, but I can’t really tell you what it smells like. Maybe this is just how dates smell? How should I know?

The brew is a dark amber colour and the aroma is the same as the leaves but a bit sweeter and has a note of raisins. That’s not surprising because dates have always sort of reminded me of giant raisins, only not as wrinkly.

Okay, the date flavoured tea for the person who doesn’t like dates. (WHAT was I THINKING???) Here goes!

It’s like… It tastes EXACTLY like it smells. It’s like liquid aroma with a dusty sort of note and weird aftertaste. I can’t really find the vanilla but I can definitely find a strong note of coconut. It sort of reminds me a bit of the honeysuckle flowers that I’ve got lying around that I’ve learned to be very careful with. I can drink it but… Another time I probably shouldn’t fall for a tea flavoured with something that I already KNOW I don’t like.

Srsly, what WAS I thinking? I hate to admit it, but this just didn’t work for me.

IF you like dates though, I feel pretty confident that you would like this a lot.

Jillian

You know that was one of the ones I was eyeing as I LOVE dates, but in the end I decided to keep the cost down and limited myself.

Do you want to see about trading? I’ve willing to part with either something from my 52Teas order (when it gets here – it’s sloooow) or from my Cupboard?

sophistre

Well, I think it’s good to be adventurous, even if you’re pretty sure it won’t work out in the end. Date-flavored tea sounds strange, but I love dates…I can eat them like candy (which is more or less the function they serve for me anyway…so sweet…omnomnom). I’m sorry it wasn’t a good match for you, but now I’m curious for myself! Maybe sometime.

Angrboda

Jillian, I’d love to trade. I don’t have the original pouch anymore, because I’ve tinned it and I cut the label out for the tin, but it shouldn’t be a problem to figure out something else. I’ll have a look through your cupboard and send you an email with my address and the stuff I’d like to try. Then you can decide whether you’re willing to part with a sample of it. ;)

Sophistre, if you want in on the trade with Jillian, just let me know. :) I can send half to you and half to her, which should be about 25g each. You can email me your address at [email protected] if you want half. :)

Angrboda

Oh, and I forgot to say, if there’s anything else I’ve got that you’d like a sample off while we’re at it anyway, just let me know. Some of it I don’t have very much of, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. :)

sophistre

I would love in on a trade, but I’m such a tea-newbie I am not quite sure that I have anything in my house that you a) haven’t had or b) would find worthwhile, haha. I did get that slew of Adagio samplers, though, so if you particularly like one of those I guess I have those to offer. I’m waiting for a Tea Guys order too…bunch of samples of herbals and whatnot.

Bethany

Hate to butt in, but I’ve been wanting to try this tea, as well – any way you have anything left for a sample? We can definitely talk trade!

sophistre

Ack! Sorry Ang! The holidays are obviously a really bad time for my internet presence being a reliable thing. Go ahead and send it to Bethany, that’s fine. :D I have so many teas to try right now as it is that if she wants it that’s swell by me. I appreciate the offer anyway, we’ll do a trade sometime. :)

Angrboda

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. :)

takgoti

When the prosciutto-wrapped-date craze arrived in DC I thought I was in heaven. The combination of the salty ham with the earthy sweetness of the dates was elation on a toothpick. That said, I’m not sure that I’d like a date-flavored tea, either. I do find it hilarious that you ordered this even though you don’t like dates, though. Not to laugh at your misfortune, but…it’s kinda funny.

Comments

Jillian

Bethany

Angrboda

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. :)

takgoti