YIPPIEEEEEE! I BOUGHT A STEEPSTER SELECT ITEM! Now that that’s out of my system here’s the confession. I haven’t got the first clue what pumpkin tastes like. Or smells like. Or anything. Pumpkin pie even less. In Denmark we get little bitty pumpkiny things for decoration in variating colours and shapes and big ones that people make pumpkin lanterns out of. It’s not something we really eat a whole lot of.

Therefore I’m not particularly concerned when everybody seems to complain about their various pumpkin pie teas not tasting all that much like pumpkin. Because… I wouldn’t know anyway. After the vanilla date debacle this probably ought to worry me a bit. I mean, what if it turns out I don’t like pumpkins at all?

Well, the smell of the leaves is sort of dark. It’s a dark smell. I can find the cinnamon but mostly it’s dominated by this other smell that I don’t know how to describe. Kind of spicey but not. Sweet but not. I’m reminded a bit of fennel which I suspect I shouldn’t, but it’s the closest I can get to a description.

It brews up a sort of dark golden. A bit like a dark liquid honey. The aroma is a bit like the loose leaves, but the tea itself is shining through, making the whole thing sweeter, less spicy (but not) and less of the fennel.

Okay, I oversteeped this a bit, I think. It’s got a very notable astringency like Indian black teas tend to get if you overdo it. I can’t figure out how to rate it because of this, as it’s difficult for me to look away from it.

I’m not going to give it a rating yet. I think I’ve ruined this pot. sigh Oh poot!

mindala

I think pumpkin is a sort of elusive, slightly sweet flavor. So people tend to associate it more with the spices and creamy flavors used to dress it up and the actual flavor of pumpkin is a little disappointing compared to expectations.

Mike

Watching your updates closely to see how this turns out… :)

Angrboda

Mindala, I did see a recommendation of trying it with milk, which expect would bring out the creamy flavour that you were talking about. Something elusive and slightly sweet, yeah I can recognise that. Especially in the smell. I’ll definitely have to try it again (properly) later on.

Mike, LOL, what am I, a tv-series? :p
I’ll try not to ruin it next time.

gmathis

I’ll second the milk—-that’s how I like my Adagio pumpkin.

Jillian

If you’ve ever eaten any type of squash, pumpkin generally tastes sort of like it. This one of the teas I ordered actually, so fingers crossed that it’s a good one. :)

Angrboda

JI have eaten what we call a squash in Danish, but Lexitus tells me that’s not really a squash at all but a courgette. Vegetable confusion! Bit like grape fruits and grapes and the word grape = grape fruit in Danish.

takgoti

@Angrboda Yes, you are. The vicar did it.

I’ve only tried this a few times since getting it, but my opinion of it is growing favorably. I added milk on time #2, but I think it washed out the flavor a bit too much. I’ll need to drink it again while logging to get a better idea of where it stands with me.

Ashley Bain

omgsh no pumpkin pie?! you must find one. little slices of heaven, they are, with a big dollop of whipped cream.

Comments

mindala

Mike

Watching your updates closely to see how this turns out… :)

Mike, LOL, what am I, a tv-series? :p
I’ll try not to ruin it next time.

gmathis

I’ll second the milk—-that’s how I like my Adagio pumpkin.

Jillian

takgoti

@Angrboda Yes, you are. The vicar did it.

Ashley Bain