Grinnyguy posted about Earl Grey. I got a fit of inspiration even though Earl Grey is normally not my first choice. Most days I find it kind of dull and every day-ish. Maybe a little overrated as a type. Classics don’t seem to hold much appeal to me.

It’s got a strong bergamot smell. That slightly bitter citrus-y smell that I’m learning to recognise. Kind of sweet, but not the way oranges are, and it’s not a bitterness like the kind you find in grapefruits. It’s sort of prickly and when you know what you’re looking for, probably fairly easily recognisable.

Apart from when I’m at Lexitus’, the last time I had Earl Grey was a few weeks ago when I was at the cafe and they gave me the wrong tea. I remember finding that one rather too bitter and smelling strongly of citrus as soon as I poured. This one is very much more controlled when it comes to citrus scent. It’s there, clearly, when you smell it, but it doesn’t invade your nostrils when your nose is an arm’s length away.

Citrusy, but not sour and without making you feel like it might as well have been a lemon tea. It’s got just a touch of bitterness on the swallow, but not nearly as much as the presumed Kusmi had. Of course I haven’t brewed this as strongly as they did that day in the cafe.

As for the cornflowers, I can’t pick them out in the flavour, so I don’t know if they actually have any effect on it at all, or if they’re just there for show. I like to think that they smooth it out some, but even if they are just there for show though, I’d still get this version. Just because they’re pretty.

My local shop beats Kusmi by several horse lenghts.

Angrboda

Hey, this is the third Earl Grey post in a row on my dashboard tasting notes page! :D

Ricky

I’m going to make a cup of Earl Grey right now xD, j/k.

Jillian

Have you started the Earl Grey Ecstasy (or something)? :D

BTW, I honestly don’t think the cornflowers are there for anything but show.

Angrboda

No, mine was the third of the lot, and only because I saw Grinnyguy post about an Earl Grey. So I think it must have been him wot started it. :)

Peggie Bennett

I love Earl Grey! That bergamot gets me every time! I love that bergamot smell so much I bought the Laughter perfume by Space NK because it has a bergamot smell! Whomever that Earl Grey is, he smells good!

Grinnyguy

You can blame me if you like. Any time when I inspire tea-drinking is a little success for me, although I’m preaching to the converted here! I like Earl Grey because the Bergamot taste is nice, but cheap tea companies use it as an excuse to use poor quality tea leaves and assume the bergamot taste with overpower everything. Getting the right tea and the right amount of bergamot must be difficult.

Peggie Bennett

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that bergamot was used that way. Can you recommend a good Earl Grey for me to try to see if I’ve been drinking crap flowered with bergamot?

Grinnyguy

Oh I make myself sound like an expert when I’m really not. Try asking Betsvc, whose tealog is almost exclusively reviews of different earl greys. I also slightly made up the thing about using bergamot to cover up a bad cup of tea, but I have strong suspicions that it’s true

Comments

Angrboda

Ricky

I’m going to make a cup of Earl Grey right now xD, j/k.

Jillian

Have you started the Earl Grey Ecstasy (or something)? :D

BTW, I honestly don’t think the cornflowers are there for anything but show.

The Formalities