Insteresting letter from Jillian in my letterbox today!

I’ve been trying to figure out what to try first and decided I was more interested in this. When I sent Jillian my ‘wishlist’ of things I’d like to try from her cupboard, this one mostly caught me by being pu-ehr, and I haven’t had any of that in ages, and a flavoured one at that, which I’ve never had. Little difficult for me to imagine flavoured pu-ehr, for some reason. But then, I initially felt the same way about green, white and oolong too and I can’t come up with a logical reason on why it shouldn’t be possible. Anyway, I didn’t pay attention to what else was in it at the time, so it’s not until now that I notice it has rooibos in it. That’s a bit worrisome, since I don’t really care much for that… Oh well, if you don’t try, you can’t win, so here we go!

It’s bagged and the bag smells like christmas biscuits! Do I have to drink it? Can’t I just sit here and sniff the bag? It seems almost a shame to get it wet. On the other hand, if I did just sit around, sniffing the bag, sooner or later I’d forget to pay attention and try to take a bite. Reflex, see.

Luckily, after steeping, it still smells like that. Chocolate and cinnamon are the dominant smells, and underneath it the earthiness of pu-ehr. It seems very dark in colour for a pu-ehr. I can’t really spot that reddish brown colour that it usually gets, but then that might be because the cup I’m using isn’t the best for looking at the colour.

The little satchel the bag was in says that the chocolate might sink to the bottom of the cup, so I’m giving it a little stir before tasting.

It tastes like sweets! Chocolatey and cinnamony like the blend I made yesterday (fate perhaps? Preparation for trying this?), but sweeter. I can pick up pretty much everything they say is in it, except possibly the nutmeg, but then I’m not really entirely certain which flavour I’m supposed to be looking for with that one. It’s not a spice I ever use for anything at all in my kitchen. And to my great relief, although I can defintiely find the rooibos, it’s only there to sort of add a little boost to the other flavours. If I hadn’t known it was there, I wouldn’t have noticed, but knowing that it is, I can tell what it does.

Great choice, me!

Suzi

That sounds so yummy :) Perfect for this time of year!

Angrboda

It is yummy! I had a brief OMG!!!-stare-into-cup moment. Jillian sent me two bags. I’ll save the other one for a special occasion. Like christmas eve for example. That seems to be suitable.

Ricky

This certain sounds better than my cup of bacon tea sitting in front of me. I’m slowly withering away, the smell’s killing me.

Cofftea

The ONLY pu erh I MIGHT be willing to try;)

Ricky

Rishi’s Vanilla Mint isn’t that bad =D Doesn’t taste like pu-erh that much.

Angrboda

Ricky, I just saw. You poor thing! It’s one of my favourite types, but it definitely isn’t for everybody. Go make something mild and fruity instead. :)

Ricky

I feel as if I’ve ate bad unsanitary Mexican food. It was definitely an interesting experience. If I ever need to fake an illness, I know what I can turn to.

Angrboda

LOL! “I’m sorry, boss, I can’t come to work today. My breakfast made me sick.” I’m not sure they’d buy that. :D

Delete 1 minute ago

Naw, I’d just blame it on food poison, or tea poison in this case :D If they don’t believe me I’d brew them up a cup. Actually, I’d probably get fired for giving them poison (assuming they don’t like it).

Angrboda

That would be a bit of a gamble. If they did like it, they would know you were skiving off. :p

Jillian

Sweet, I’m glad it got to you safe and sound. The nutmeg is probably easiest to smell when the bag is dry – it might be what you’re thinking of as christmas biscuits. :)

teaplz

Sounds yummy!

__Morgana__

I am breaking out my box of this to give it a try after reading your post!

Stephanie

Good to know that the rooibos doesn’t really make an appearance!

Comments

Suzi

That sounds so yummy :) Perfect for this time of year!

Cofftea

The ONLY pu erh I MIGHT be willing to try;)

Ricky

Rishi’s Vanilla Mint isn’t that bad =D Doesn’t taste like pu-erh that much.

Delete 1 minute ago

Jillian

teaplz

Sounds yummy!

__Morgana__

I am breaking out my box of this to give it a try after reading your post!

Stephanie

Good to know that the rooibos doesn’t really make an appearance!

The Formalities