drank Orange Jasmine by Mighty Leaf Tea

I found a swap package from Bethany in my letterbox yesterday when I came home from work. I’ve spent the time since at war with myself over which one to try first. Eventually I resorted to Ippy-Dippy and landed on this.

Quite fitting actually since I was wanting something orange-y recently and didn’t really have any.

I forgot to take a look at the dry leaves before brewing, so you’ll have to do with out. After steeping, though, they smell sweetly floral. Like jasmine and just a touch of sweetness from the orange. The tea itself smells pretty much the same way, just stronger and sweeter. It kind of reminds me of orange chocolate. It’s got a nice clear and deep amber colour in the cup.

The taste is like sweet oranges. Almost orange juice-y but with the floral notes of the jasmine just underneath. I like how the jasmine is understated in this one. I’m still holding on to that orange chocolate impression too. I swear I haven’t added any sweetening agent to the cup, but it tastes like there’s something there. Don’t know what it is, but it’s not sugar. I’m leaning sort of towards almonds, which I actually think would fit an orange quite nicely.

If I taste really carefully I can pick up the tea itself underneath too. Sort of nutty and with that special sort of flavour that puts me in mind of an oolong. I like this, but I made a large pot and I’m not entirely certain I’ll like the last cup as much as I liked the first one.

And the best of it all, guess what! I just discovered that Mighty Leaf has a swedish website too that ships to ALL of Scandinavia! I expect it’s probably somewhat smaller than the american site, like the two sites that Adagio has, one for America and one for Europe, but still. For the freaking win! WOOT! I shall decipher the swedish and have a closer look at that later.

ETA: I’ve realised what the sweet stuff in it is. It’s vanilla. And lots of it too. I think I could have lived without the vanilla. At least in this quantity.

Bethany

I had a very similar to reaction to this tea – I was really surprised by how sweet it was, and I couldn’t shake that orange chocolate taste, along with that touch of jasmine. The sweetness was a bit overpowering, but I liked this overall.

Angrboda

It’s helped now that I’ve realised where the sweetness is coming from. It struck me when I read ML’s description of it and they mentioned the vanilla. I’ve saved the bag for a resteep which I’m planning on chilling. I think that would work really well because it’s so sweet and fruity.

Micah

Just the name Orange Jasmine is enough to make me want some of this. And judging from your review it’s definitely worth a try. I hope I can find it as a single tea bag at the on campus grocery!

Angrboda

I quite liked it. A bit cloying towards the bottom of the pot what with the vanilla, so maybe a big pot wasn’t the best way to go. It was really good chilled too though.

Comments

Bethany

Micah