Funny that this should be next in the queue, when I’ve been drinking another Irish Breakfast blend today. It feels a bit full cicle-y

This is another take from the EU travelling teabox, one I didn’t really have to think too hard about before pinching. I rather like breakfast blends, but I never seem to actually buy them for some reason. I think it’s because, in the actual ordering situation, I either get too focused on interesting flavours or on unblended teas, and if they have a breakfast blend at all, then I don’t even look for it.

But I do like a good breakfast blend, so perhaps it’s something I should start paying more attention to. They are so varied, because many companies make their own unique blend that for them is breakfast-y, so it’s not a tried-on-tried-them-all sort of thing at all.

My perfect breakfast blend is actually quite easy to find. In fact I can go out tomorrow and pick up a box from the supermarket. You see, I grew up on Pickwick tea bags when having tea, and their English breakfast blend have a distinct note of honey to it. At least it did 15 years ago, who knows what sort of shenanigans their product development people have been up to in that time? I rather enjoyed that honey note, so that’s what I want in a breakfast blend.

Irish breakfast or English breakfast, though… I can take either. I’ve never really been able to put my finger on exactly what’s supposed to be the difference here, so one is as good as the other for me.

This one smells vaguely grassy and quite malty-sweet. There’s a fair bit of grain in here as well. I find this bode well for the possibility of that honey note.

Unfortunately it doesn’t taste like honey at all. At first, when I sipped, I thought ‘oh no, grass! Darjeeling!’ but then the malty notes came in and sort of took over. Those Darj-y notes aren’t actually so bad after all, so now I don’t think it’s in there at all. It lacks the prickly spicyness of Darj, fortunately. Maybe some other high-grown tea. It really is a quite sweet tea, this one. Under that, forming the body, there is a bit of grain and a whole lot of general Assam-ness with malt and a whiff of raisin. This is robust, strong and lightly astringent in the aftertaste.

This is quite nice. It’s not the sort of tea that I would want to drink all day, but it works well for the first cup of the day. Which this actually is, actually. Evidence to this can be found in how the leaves were initially given a short rinse in cold water because I forgot to boil it first and then had to pour it back in the kettle. Yay for strainers… I hope it’s not going to be one of the those days.

Husband found it pleasant too. He said it was a good breakfast tea and better than most English breakfast blends he’s tried (which likely came out of a bag, mind you) which were often much too (and here he made a funny face). And this one wasn’t.

PS. Lightly astringent turns into quite astringent if you drink this while eating yoghurt, apparently. So don’t do that.

Anna

…and it’s on the list. The EU box swap has generated 60+ reviews so far, that’s pretty cool.

Angrboda

And we weren’t even that many people in it. Mind you I tried, took a sample or outright filched at least a third of what was in it when I got it and still have some untried, so that number will only get bigger. :)

Anna

Oh, it definitely will. This round might knock it up too 100+ if people are good about reviewing. There’s a ridiculous number of teas in there now, seeing as I tried so much yet took/finished so little.

Angrboda

Just about to queue another one now. It’s steeping as I type. :)

Anna

Excellent. I will look for it in May. HUE HUE HUE. Ahem.

TeaWings

Ha, I know that whole “get distracted during the ordering process”.. it’s kind of like that dog from the movie “up” — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUXXzN26zg — all focused on the mission at hand, then you see something like “OOOH BLACK CURRANT SAGE!”

Angrboda

Yeah, these days the first thing I tend to do is to see if there’s any interesting vanillas about, and from there I get pulled in by other flavours. Suddenly I’ve hit the maximum amount I wish to spend and don’t want to remove anything from the basket. I placed two orders the other day, being veeeeeery careful to not get anything flavoured at all, and I managed it! Unless you count Lapsang Souchong as flavoured. I don’t, but I’ll concede it’s borderline. :)

Comments

Anna

Angrboda

Just about to queue another one now. It’s steeping as I type. :)

Anna

Excellent. I will look for it in May. HUE HUE HUE. Ahem.

TeaWings