drank Black Powder Blend by Luka Te m.m.

Yes, it’s just the good ol’ Gunpowder Blend that I recently bought serious amounts of. I edited the name of it because ‘Gunpowder Blend’ was a direct translation from the danish name ‘Krudtblanding’. ‘Krudt’ = ‘Gunpowder’ as in the stuff you use to shoot a firearm. Although the blend contains a green tea I don’t think the green tea in question is actually Gunpowder as in the green tea, but the name of the blend as I had first translated it led to a number of very understandable misunderstandings. So after consulting a number of internet sites I found this alternative name for gunpowder as in the explosive stuff. Therefore I changed the name.

I know I added some to the TTB so if someone could correct it there too it would be awesome. Please?

Anyway, my flat is Procrastination Central today. I’m working on something that requires brain activity SHOCK! HORROR! and I’m still feeling like I could hibernate for the entire day like I did yesterday.

Pick-me-up is needed, so I made me a big cup of this, and on a whim, added some milk. I can’t remember if I’ve tried it with milk before, but I think I have and I seem to remember it having drowned out some of the green tea in it.

I’m not really getting that this time. First part of the sip was all green, and then immediately after that came the smokeyness. Underneath it all the English Breakfast component is going all ‘YAY MILK!’ which is rather weird for me because I hardly ever drink anything with milk except the pumpkin pie blend from 52teas.com or the pot of Assam my colleague and I share at the cafe we like. I don’t think that I would want to take this with milk always though. It seems kind of like a luxury that should be spared for just occasional events, especially considering that I think it’s also awesome without the milk.

It does really bring out the sweetness from the green tea. I would never otherwise EVER add milk to any tea that wasn’t black, but I think the effect that I’m getting here has something to do with previously mentioned EB component.

It’s a bit like the three components start vying for my attention. The green tea is all suave going “I’m sweeeeeeeeeeeet and buttery!” and the EB is going “I’m smooth and milky and sensible!” and the Lapsang Souchong is getting all bouncy and eager and going “I’m here too! Smokey! Me! Me-me-me-me-me!!!”

It’s kinda cute, actually.

Ricky

I think gunpowder would be the only green tea I could drink on a daily basis. The best part is I don’t even like smokey teas. It’s just that I’ve done it before in my tea ignorant days :)

Lapsang in this tea makes it sound scary =/

Angrboda

I think the green tea in this might be Chun Mee. It doesn’t look like gunpowder, the shape of the leaves aren’t really pellet-y enough. I don’t consider gunpowder to have an especially smokey sort of flavour at all. I have a hard time even considering smokey and the green tea in the same sentence.

This blend is pretty smokey, I honestly don’t believe you would like this much.

Ricky

Well if it’s in the TTB, I’ll give it a try or a sip. I’ll make like a two ounce cup :)