From the queue

This one was also from Courtney, and you may remember that I had asked for either this or the Tealux Cream Irish Breakfast as I thought they sounded interesting and Courtney thought they were very similar, and also that happily she had enough of both to share with me and was sweet enough to do so. I’m therefore having this one on the same day that I had the other, so that I too can see if I find them similar.

I think it definitely smells like cheesecake. It really was the first thing that popped into my head when I first sniffed it. I’m not sure I would have got cheesecake if I hadn’t known it to be there from the title as cheesecake is never really something at the forefront of my mind. I mean I like it a lot, but I have it very seldomly. I don’t think Husband quite got this from the aroma, but then he also started to wonder what cheesecake actually smells like and whether it smells like anything in particular. Well, I think it smells like cheesecake. Especially the crust of one.

Not sure about Irish cream, though. I’m only vaguely aware of that, so I don’t really know what to search for there. I can pick up something of the base underneath though. It’s fairly malty and reminds me a bit of Assam with a smidge of that cardboard-y note. I’m surprised then to find that the base is actually a second flush Darjeeling. This is interesting because when sipping it, I’m getting zero of the notes that ordinarily makes me dislilke Darjeeling. I imagine it’s a combination of it being second flush and it being tempered further by the flavouring. Perhaps it’s time to investigate second flushes, and maybe also autumnal, Darjeelings? This tea makes me think I might be ready for that.

Yes, I can definitely see similarities in the aroma, apart from how the Cream Irish Breakfast smelled very much like strawberry to me (I seem to be the only one) and this one doesn’t.

I can also see the similarity in the flavour, but this one has the cream more to the front and it’s not as smooth as the breakfast blend. It’s a little more aggressive. I have to say that tastewise it doesn’t give me that same cheesecake-y impression that the aroma did, but there is something that offsets the cream note. It’s sweeter than the breakfast blend, which may be the biggest difference between the two.

On the whole I agree with Courtney that they are very similar, but I must say I think I preferred the breakfast blend slightly more than this.

Courtney

I’m just catching up on reading notes from the past week now. I’m glad you found this one enjoyable.