drank Rouge d'Automne by Mariage Frères

Queued post, written April 30th 2014

I got this one out fo the EU TTB round 2, because it was something to do with vanilla. Might as well be honest here. Vanilla lures me in every time. (Except when it’s in rooibos with no other flavour than vanilla. That vanilla rooibos from Simpson & Vail that tasted like a mouthful of shampoo is quite unforgettable). I’m also attracted to autumn blends for some reason. Much more than I am to blends related to any other season.

Looking at the description, though, I’m not sure how autumnal I find it. Chestnut, yes, that’s pretty autumnal, but vanilla? Not really. If vanilla is anything at all it’s winter-y for me. This is a subjective matter, though, and it’s not so winter-y that I won’t happily consume all the vanilla-related things all the year round.

I’ve had roasted chestnuts before and thought they were… well, frankly, quite strange. Not unpleasant, but certainly not my idea of a treat either. Sort of a mix between a sweet potato and a nut. I have also had them cooked in food where I find them far more appealing, but I’ve never had them in tea before.

I used all the leaf in the sample, sharing a pot with Husband when he came home from work, and wish I could give you a complete description of it, but it was had while we were having our bit of a chat about our days and such and then later I was… distracted.

I do remember, however, that I found it a pleasant cup. Not super chestnut-y as I’ve got to know them in my limited experience, but there was definitely something nutty in there. And also a fair bit of quite sweet vanilla. It felt a little bit sugared really, which was a little too much for me.

The Formalities