drank Magnolia Puerh by Numi Organic Tea

Queued post, written May 3rd 2014
You may have noticed that I’ve lowered my posting frequency from daily to three times a week. I’ve got the queue whittled down to 14 pages and I haven’t been adding to it very much lately, so I’m trying to delay the point where I run out of pre-written posts and the system collapses.

This was from the first round of the EU TTB.

I’m not sure why I took it. I’m not sure what to say about it now that I’ve had it either.

I did try to pay attention to it, but even then I found I couldn’t put words to what I was tasting.

It was sweet, somewhat flowery, a great deal wood-y and sort of green tea-ish here and there. Really, that’s all I’ve got.

It was relatively pleasant, though I’m sure the magnolia scenting has been done better by other companies in the past.

Anna

How is the house and the garden and all that stuff coming along?

Angrboda

It’s coming. The garden far more sloooooooooowly than I would like, though not for lack of work. Why won’t these things just grow faster?! I do not have the patience for this gardening stuff. We’ve got one little proto-apple on the tiny apple tree, a bean (yes, singular), 5 courgette plants and 6 sweet peas. As for the beans and the sweet peas there were supposed to be lots more but they didn’t come up. A few herbs as well. And LOTS of dandelions though.

Anna

Hahaha, a proto-apple and a bean. Love it.

Angrboda

Husband had more bean seeds, so we’re trying again. He just planted them this morning. He had a dig around for the others and could only find one which was rotten, so that explains what happened to them. He had read that they should be soaked before planting and then later read elsewhere that the soaking step was just an old wives’ tale. Seems like in our case it might actually have ruined the seeds. Live and learn. Back to waiting, then. He put in all the seeds that were left, so at least some of them ought to come up now.
One of the courgettes seen to have died, though. It was fine in the morning and a few hours later it was all floppy and sick. The others, mysteriously, are fine.

Anna

If they’re old and dry it might help them a little, but overall I’ve found they tend to be very sensitive to moisture if the soil isn’t warm enough.

Also someone might have chewed on your courgette. Tell them to bite back.

Angrboda

We’re definitely keeping an eye on the others. One theory is that something has nibbled the roots, but then you’d think it’d nibble on the others as well.

Angrboda

Oh, and I also saw a butterfly I had never seen before. Ran excitedly to tell Husband only to discover that he had seen one the other day and that it was actually a fairly common species. Hm.

Anna

Check for ants, sometimes they can be real assholes.

Angrboda

There are some, but not what I would call a lot. A tiny black species. Any advice? (We don’t want to use chemicals and poison)

Anna

Ugh no, no chemicals – especially not around edibles. Well, what you can do is dig around in the soil a little and see if there seems to be an ant nest under the plants in questions and, if so, just disturb them (dig around, water) as much as possible. But it could really just be a random plantbiter who’s already left – keep an eye on the closest plants.

Angrboda

We’ll try that. Thanks Anna. I didn’t know you were a fountain of garden pest knowledge!

Anna

‘Garden Pest’ is my middle name.

Comments

Anna

How is the house and the garden and all that stuff coming along?

Anna

Hahaha, a proto-apple and a bean. Love it.

Anna

Also someone might have chewed on your courgette. Tell them to bite back.

Anna

Check for ants, sometimes they can be real assholes.

Anna

‘Garden Pest’ is my middle name.

The Formalities