drank Tan Yang Te Ji by TeaSpring

Bah, still feeling rather under the weather. I really wanted a january in which I wasn’t ill, but people around me seem to insist that there is probably more to it than just average female issues. And the more they say so, the more miserable I feel. At this point I’m strongly suspecting that they might be right too. Lexitus has reminded me to have lots of fluids, so I might as well continue posting about tea, yes?

Switched back to the Teaspring order for this one. I was in need of just a plain black cup. No additives.

The leaves look a lot like my Assam Deluxe FTGFOP from AC Perchs, except with fewer golden tips. They have a very fruity raisin-like aroma as well as a strong note of cocoa.

Due to the nature of the cup chosen, I can’t really comment on the colour, but in this cup it looks pretty default black. The aroma is very sweet and raisin-y. The cocoa is still there too, but now it’s less dominant than before. There is also something there that reminds me a little of vanilla. A malty sort of vanilla, which sounds weird, but it’s the best way I can describe it. I would not believe, based on aroma alone, that this was not a flavoured tea. But it isn’t. It’s plain.

The taste is surprisingly sweet for a plain black, and it’s definitely fruity. Teaspring speaks of plum-like notes, but I think personally I’ll stick to calling it a raisin-y note. I will agree with them, though, on the floral note. It’s only there if I really concentrate and taste it thoroughly, but once I’ve found it, it’s there. Dry-ish and floral. Like just a smidge. Like the tea bush grew surrounded by flowers.

I’m reminded of the Fujian Baroque that Bethany shared a sample of with me, which isn’t surprising because this tea comes from the Fujian province too. I like this one better though. It’s a little less loud on the fruity notes, and I can also find a cocoa note on the swallow. A very dark one that lingers as if there’s a layer stuck to the inside of my mouth. I couldn’t find that in the Fujian Baroque.

Carolyn

I hope you’re soon feeling better!

JacquelineM

Hope you feel better soon. I’ve been missing your presence here :)

Angrboda

Thank you both. :) I certainly hope so too!

jennlea

Hope you feel better quickly!

Angrboda

Comments

Carolyn

I hope you’re soon feeling better!

JacquelineM

Hope you feel better soon. I’ve been missing your presence here :)

Angrboda

Thank you both. :) I certainly hope so too!

jennlea

Hope you feel better quickly!

The Formalities