How about a backlog? The good thing about backlog notes is I can make a post even when I’m not actually having any tea. (No specific reason, just drinking something else at the moment) The bad thing is I don’t really want to write up the ones that I didn’t like, so there’s a certain lack of balance in that document…

My Golden Moon debut and the second one of Auggy’s gift teas I’ve tried! When Auggy told me about what she would like to gift me with, she mentioned that this Lapsang Souchong has a surprisingly sweet flavour for an LS. It reminded me a bit of that sweet phantom note in A. C. Perch’s Lapsang that try as I might, I can’t find again.

The leaves smell very smoky, and the actual tea is smoky too. Quite smoky, in fact I’d say. Smoke is just not the first note I’m finding.

At first there is something way more substantial. Something solid. It’s (work with me here, Steepsterites) a bit like pu-erh, only without the earthyness. Without the cowstableness. I mean, it doesn’t taste like pu-erhs at all, it just sort of creates the same flavour intensity sensations.

Then, after that, YES!!! There it is! Sweetness. That same sort of sweet note that has disappeared from my ACP Lapsang. Smoky smoke is smoky, but underneath it the sweetness lies. I can only describe it as kind of thick. It’s not a specific flavour other than ‘something sweet’, but it tastes like something that would come in globs, not in puffs or powders.

There is also a small note of some kind of leaf-y something. It’s not grassy or fruity or any other word that suggests right-off-plant-ness, nor is it an earthy stored note like pu-erh. It’s in between. Like dried flowers (except it’s not a flowery flavour either) or leaves pressed between the pages of a heavy book

I seem to be using a lot of energy describing what this tea isn’t and very little energy on what it actually is. What it is is very nice indeed. I just wish I could recreate this same sweetness in my ACP lapsang.

All in all, I’m totally getting the whole camel driver vibe here.

Ricky

This one was way too much for me. I prefer your unknown green blend =P

JustDuckyInNE

I appreciate the detail; I think it adds to the description because so many of us have delighted in LS before. The comparison is great!

Auggy

Yay! I am glad you liked it! Smoky tea lovers UNITE! :)

sophistre

This was fun to read. I find this Lapsang the most forgiving of the (very) few I’ve tried. The sweetness is a little bit addictive!

Jim Marks

You know what I used to do all the time, actually? Cut loose pu-erh with lapsang and steep that. To get exactly what you’re talking about, there. a lapsang that has more roots than just smoke. LOVE that.

Comments

Ricky

This one was way too much for me. I prefer your unknown green blend =P

JustDuckyInNE

Auggy

Yay! I am glad you liked it! Smoky tea lovers UNITE! :)

sophistre