You are not seeing this post. This post does not exist because I am totally working on writing and totally not posting on Steepster. If you can see this post, you need to get your eyes checked. Cause it ain’t here.

That said, TeaEqualsBliss sent me a sample of this when we swapped earlier and I can’t really remember why I rated it so low, but I gather that I rated it that way in comparison to the Adagio IB which I can’t currently remember what tastes like, so I’m not going to tamper with the rating.

I used 50% more leaf for this pot because I thought I could finish the sample off that way. Turns out the sample was larger than I had expected and now I’ve only got an estimated amount of leaf left for half a pot. By the time I discovered that, though, it was of course too late to do anything about it.

The tea actually carries the extra strength quite nicely. I can’t tell in the flavour that it’s stronger than usual, and reading my previous comment on it, I still completely agree with myself.

So evidently what we’ve got here is a pretty forgiving blend, which kind of surprises me a little considering that it must surely have Assam in it, and in my experience you can call the Indian blacks many things, but ‘forgiving’ generally isn’t one of them. It’s possible that the Assam aspect is a bit more astringent this way, but it’s not something that really mars the flavour on the whole.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the Irish Morning Blend from A C Perch’s hold up to this and to Adagio’s equivalent.

Back to work (HA!) for me, and remember, this post does not exist, it isn’t here and I never wrote it.

Couple of thoughts:

~ Much like coffee, people tend to think “more leaf” (or grounds) means “harsher”. People say “I don’t like strong coffee” but what they mean is “I don’t like bitter coffee”. They then make coffee with fewer grounds, which actually makes the cup more bitter because there is more water per grounds and the extraction becomes more efficient, and as a result, undesirable stuff gets pulled out. Similarly, more tea leaf may make a “bolder” cup but it won’t make it more harsh, it will actually make it softer, because the steep will be less efficient and the harsh bits never get pulled into suspension. This is why hardcore tea use LOTS more leaf than casual drinkers use.

~ Assam’s astringency is likely to be exacerbated by over-steeping rather than by upping the leaf. Again, more leaf, less efficient pull, actually less astringent. Whereas over-steeping means time to pull out the bad stuff. (Although, Assam’s astringency is not seen as a negative when balanced properly with other notes.)

~ Blends, by definition, should be more forgiving, that’s kind of the whole point: consistency and ease of use. Just like blended coffee, blended whiskey, blended tobacco, &c.

~ Get to work!

Heyes

Excellent comment Jim!

Jillian

“There is no spoon…” ;P

Hey! The tea’s extra fancy! o.O

Oh how we’ve all strayed off in the comments…

Marie

Waiting to hear your post for a while Jim. It’s reaffirmed my own thoughts about the inner workings of tea. More is better! Thanks for boldly sharing your thoughts and experiences with us! :)

Any time.

LENA

nice comment jim…pretty cool stuff.

Angrboda

That’s great and all, Jim, but I do actually have a sufficient amount of experience to know what I like and how I tend to like it best. I can assure you, I know what I’m doing.

Marie

Not enough tea love going on here. I think the tannins have taken over. Must…inject…more…love.

Spreading the love.

Now children gather around. Sit down, hold hands with the people next to you. Tell them how much you love them. If it’s a stranger or somebody you don’t know, just tell them what you love about them. Yes, I understand it’s a strange, but you can be like, oh what a wonderful name you’ve got. Any compliment will suffice. If you don’t want to speak, a simple hug will do.

Okay, that was just weird….

Comments

Jim Marks

Couple of thoughts:

~ Get to work!

Heyes

Excellent comment Jim!

Jillian

“There is no spoon…” ;P

Hey! The tea’s extra fancy! o.O

Oh how we’ve all strayed off in the comments…

Any time.

LENA

nice comment jim…pretty cool stuff.

Angrboda

Spreading the love.

Okay, that was just weird….

The Formalities