Finally working out how to pour from the gaiwan into a cup without spilling all over the place has totally revolutionised the way I drink greens! I like greens, but they do require a certain mood to be taken in larger quantities. Even my small pot is a bit on the big side there. This way is so much easier!

Leaf-saving too, because I can get way more steeps out of a smaller amount of leaves. In a pot I rarely do more than two steeps of a green, three if I’m doing a lot, because after that I’ve just become bored and want something else.

So I’ve dived into my stash of semi-forgotten greens and found this one. Very nice. I’m reminded a bit of the Long Jing I had the other day and not just because I’m brewing this the same way, but also on the flavour. Hint of asparagus there but not nearly as bright and bouncy as in dragonwell.

Of course, just like the Long Jing, I have no clue about which number steep I’m on at the moment.

And to think I was on the verge of putting the gaiwan on the shelf as a nice little tea-related decorative item. Now I think I need some more of them. :D

ETA: Without spilling… Ahem. wipes up

Rabs

I’m dying to try a gaiwan, but my fear of making epic messes has kept me from purchasing one. I know that someday I’ll cave – especially now that you’ve given me hope ;)

~lauren.

oh kudos on mastering the gaiwan!

Thank you Lauren. :)

Rabs, I’ve found that it takes a confident pour. The real trick is actually to pick it up without having all three pieces try to go their seperate ways. I’m still picking mine up quite carefully. But hey, if you give it a try and it doesn’t work for you at least they’re pretty. :)

Heyes

I thought the point of the gaiwan is that it is both the steeping vessel and the cup?

Angrboda

It is, I think, but I haven’t really worked out how to drink from it also without burning myself or spilling. It’s like my hand doesn’t bend right to get it to my mouth, if you get what I mean. It feels awkward. It’s easier for me to pour it over into another small cup. Bit untraditional maybe, but as long as it works.

Rabs

I just spent an hour or so on youtube watching different videos on gaiwan and yixing prep/drinking. You really see it all – from drinking directly from the yixing pot, and to drinking directly from the gaiwan or pouring it into one or more cups.

AmazonV

Congrats fearless Angrboda for conquering the gaiwan, they still scare the pants off me

Comments

Rabs

~lauren.

oh kudos on mastering the gaiwan!

Thank you Lauren. :)