I love smokies. I love the way they prickle on the tongue and the surprise of sweetness that shows up on the swallow. Sometimes a lot sometimes just a hint.

I love Tie Guan Yin. I love the almost floral freshness of them, the lovely green colour of the leaves and the lightheartedness of the flavour.

Smoky + Tie Guan Yin = ?

What could possibly go wrong here?

Well, I am about to find out, as Cait happened to be in possesion of some and very kindly offered to send me a sample of it when I expressed my curiosity.

The leaves have darkened so they look like an oolong from the darker end of the spectrum. They smell very oolong-y and grass-y, but not really smoky as such. It’s definitely not a ‘normal’ oolong smell, but it’s not really smoke either. It’s more like… a touch of smoke. The memory of smoke. If I search really hard in the aroma, I can find real smoke, but the grass-y oolong-y parts of the aroma are just so strong and insist on being in the foreground at all times.

Tea-making not being an exact science, I think I gave it a slightly longer steep here than what is strictly necessary, so that may account for the appearance. It looks a bit more reddish brown than the regular Tie Guan Yin. The aroma is very oolong-y but with a crisp sort of bite to it. Again, not really smoke. More like… toast. There’s something very fruity here too. Sweet apple-y. Interesting. I’ve never found that in a Tie Guan Yin before.

Oh my ceiling cat!

First sip made me really widen my eyes in wonder. This tea must have gold dust in it, that’s how good it is. It’s not smoky as we know our regular smokies. It doesn’t have that same bite, not at first. At first it’s more toasted than smoky and then the smoke shows up on the swallow. That’s so backwards!

This actually reminds me quite strongly of Genmaichas. There is the same sort of nutty toastedness in it. That apple from the aroma is a bit harder to find but if the tea isn’t too terribly hot, there’s a touch of it for a brief moment when it first hits the tongue.

I’ve got enough leaves for one more pot, but I’ll have to check the vendor because I can’t remember now if they were one of the places to have reasonable shipping to Europe or not. If they do, I will without a doubt need more of this.

Cait

Yay! \o/

S

Oooh, I gotta try this….I tried the regular green TGY (grade 2) and I absolutely loved it. Maybe I’ll add some of this to my next shopping list.

AmazonV

their US shipping is more than reasonable, i hope international is as well!

__Morgana__

I have to give this another try immediately now. No waiting. (Your ceiling cat references crack me up.)

sygyzy

It’s funny you mention gold dust because there are some teas that are a golden color and have “dust” covering them. LOL.

Rabs

want want want want want!!!!! I too love the “Oh my Ceiling Cat”s (that rolls off the tongue so much easier than “oh my great flying spaghetti monster”) :D

Janni

But not as well as “Oh my Cthulhu!” ;)

CHAroma

Is this the Special Edition one?

Comments

Cait

Yay! \o/

S

AmazonV

their US shipping is more than reasonable, i hope international is as well!

__Morgana__

sygyzy

Rabs

Janni

But not as well as “Oh my Cthulhu!” ;)

CHAroma

Is this the Special Edition one?

The Formalities