drank Bi Luo Chun by TeaSpring

It’s been a while since I’ve even thought of this one and SoccerMom inspired me with one of her recent posts.

It’s always difficult to measure out the leaves for this one. They’re all curly and getting twisted up in each other, so when you think you take a normal size spoonful, you actually find you are lifting a third of the tea out of the tin… So a few false tries and I finally got a couple of spoonfuls of acceptable size.

Grass-y aroma is grass-y. And very very sweet.

I was skimming over my previous posts about it. A bit like a cheatsheet, reminding myself of what I thought of it before. Apparently at one point I was searching for a peach note. And there was the mint-y aftertaste.

Mint-y aftertaste is still there, making the edges of my tongue feel a bit cool. Peaches? Hmmm… Maybe. I think now I know what the peach-y note is, or rather which flavour is supposed to be the peach-y note. I’m not sure I really agree on peaches though. Maybe a little more apricot-y, I think, if I have to pick a fruit.

It’s just not a note that says ‘fruit’ to me. I find it more blossom-y to be honest. Not jasmine, not even close to jasmine, but the same sort of flower-y feel. I don’t know enough about how different flowers used in tea taste like so I can’t really get any closer than that.

It actually reminds me of that Dong Ding oolong from Nothing But Tea I had a few days ago, the one that I thought was way too green in flavour and not at all sufficiently oolong-y. This is just a slightly greener version of that. Weird then that I like this one so much and didn’t really care much for the oolong on account of it being too like this… Chalk that up to me wanting my oolongs to be oolong-y! That’s not a lot to ask, is it?

And would you know! The area of origin for this one is Dong Ting in the Jiang Su Province. Does anybody know where Dong Ding oolong is produced? Names can cheat but I’ve got a strong suspicion here. Am I right?

Thomas Smith

Dong Ding/Tung Ting literally means Frozen Summit, so there are multiple locations with this name. Dong Ding Oolong comes from central Taiwan.

Angrboda

Ha! Funny you should comment on this post, I just had it last night before bedtime but didn’t post about it. Seeing that there was a comment on my post about this tea was cause for some confusion initially, until I realised that of course I’ve posted about it previously. :p

Right. If I had been paying attention, I would have noticed that the NBT Dong Ding’s name actually has ‘Formosa’ in it. At least it did on the sample bag, not sure if it does on the website also.

But I still say it was a qualified guess (providing we ignore the bit that both actually had origins clearly marked on them), and I stand by the similarity in flavour. :)

Comments

Thomas Smith

Angrboda