drank 1886 Blend by Whittard of Chelsea

Second of my english holiday teas, a mix of Keemun and Assam. Sounds promising, doesn’t it? I haven’t yet found my perfect Assam but I have very few bad experiences with chinese blacks in general. On top of that, I have this funny weakness for teas that are named for a particular year for some reason, although this is the first time that I remember actually having one. I just kinda like the concept, you know?

First sip had me do a double take. It was NOT at all what I was expecting. Imagine eating strawberry jam all your life and then suddenly without realising it you get some raspberry jam instead. You like it, it’s lovely. But not expected.

It’s got that particular Indian astringency from the Assam and all evened out by the Keemun into something much smoother. The Keemun has lost a lot of the smoky though. It only shows up in the aftertaste, but that said, it has a VERY nice aftertaste. Underneath it all we’ve got the Assam showing up again with that sweet honey-y note.

All in all, a nice basic black. Strong but not too strong, full bodied and with plenty of life in it. Not half bad!

You know what I’m beginning to think? My perfect Assam does not exist outside of blends.

Jillian

From what I’ve read Assam teas are often produced with quantity more in mind than quality. That said, some of the single estate Assams are supposedly really good.

Angrboda

I’m under the impression that a lot of Indians and Ceylons are. They seem somehow more market-orientated than other regions. But maybe that’s my China-bias. :)

JacquelineM

I love teas that are named with a year too. I think it’s the admirer of olde things in me :)

Comments

Jillian

Angrboda