These last couple of days have been pretty awful for me and I’ve been in a somewhat asocial and depressive mood. Not as bad as it has sometimes been before, but still noticable. Luckily my parcel from Auggy arrived yesterday, containing my Keemun education (I think I must be at level 2 now, or…?), so I’m making a start on that now and starting with this one, which Auggy said was her favourite out of the three.

It smells very sweet, with a little spicyness to it. Weirdly it’s reminding me a little of freshly baked rye bread. As in proper rye bread. The danish sort. Like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugbr%C3%B8d. (And if you follow the Oprah link and if you watch the video of a danish home, do NOT believe the headline. That is NOT a typical danish home, but it is a fairly standard size fridge, even if Oprah seems to expect us to be able to store enough food to feed an army. We don’t need room for more food than we can eat, do we?) Anyway, that’s what the aroma reminds me of. Even though it’s not actually the same smell. Just sort of in the same semi-category nearly almost kind of.

After the cup has been sitting for a little, the spicyness is still there, but the sweetness has transformed a little. It’s kind of semi-green now. Not green-green and not very grassy, but with a definite vegetative quality to it.

I can’t immediately pick up notes of smoke in the aroma though.

On the flavour there is definite smoke, however. It’s the first thing I notice when I taste it, especially if I slurp a little. Underneath that again the straw-like spicyness and the very sweet note from before.

Weirdly the flavour is reminding me of rye bread again. A good rye bread (for me) has tons of grain in it, making it a heavy bread. This is kind of the same. It tastes like it’s a heavy tea, sort of. If it was a rye bread it would be one of my preferred ones. Grainy. I’ve managed to get myself lost in this odd comparison, and it’s surprisingly difficult to really explain it, and even more difficult to untangle myself from it again.

Let’s just say it’s making me want to eat rye bread now.

I’m liking this a lot, and I can totally see why Auggy counts it among her favorites. It certainly deserves a metric ton of points.

takgoti

It’s funny how our tastes evolve as we grow older. I used to HATE rye bread when I was younger, but now I adore it. This sounds delicious.

Angrboda

Yes. I absolutely couldn’t eat beans as a child. Since I wasn’t otherwise a picky eater, I was allowed to avoid them. I wouldn’t say I like it today, but I can eat it. Spinach and cottage cheese, though, have moved from EW! straight into the category of Favourite Things.
This is really very good, I definitely suggest you check it out (and then come back and tell me what you think about the rye bread issue…)

Auggy

I totally get the rye bread thing. And the not-green but vegetal thing. And the straw thing. And I’m glad the package arrival made for happier times. I could say I arranged that special with the post office – they held on to it for a few days (or five) just so it would come at the perfect time. Yep, that’s my story.

Angrboda

I need to have TeaSpring’s Keemun again soon and keep this post in mind since it’s the same leaf grade. I wonder if the rye bread will turn out to be a typically keemun thing for me, like raisins is with assams.

Comments

takgoti

Auggy