drank Golden Needle King by Shang Tea

Wombatgirl sent me this one in our last swap and I’ve been sort of saving it a bit. The sample came in this nice little golden bag, see, which made me feel like it ought to be saved for some kind of celebrating occasion.

And now I’ve got one! NaNoWriMo progress: 50,277 words. Ten days to spare. 1½ scene to go and I’ll have a finished first draft as well. And thus I have bragged about that, and can go back to the tea.

I put the leaves straight into my little pot, so I forgot to smell the dry leaf first, but the aroma of the steeped brew is really nice. It’s got a heavy sort of bottom note to it with some semi-fruity spicy notes to it. I wonder if this is what people are talking about when they say figs and dates? I don’t eat (or like) either, so I wouldn’t really know. I do like that note in tea, though. (I was concentrating so hard on working out the aroma here, that I actually managed to accidentally dip my nose in it…) I’m picking up a hint of cocoa and a wee bit of smoke too, but I’m not sure if it’s contamination from the Tan Yang Te Ji (♥) that I had earlier.

No, that is definitely NOT contamination. The wee bit of smoke probably is, but not the cocoa. SO not the cocoa. There is a very distinct cocoa note here and there’s some caramel as well on the finish and the aftertaste.

It actually does remind me a little of the aforementioned Tan Yang. It’s not as aggressive and as heavy as the Tan Yang, it’s more like a Tan Yang Light, but it’s got several of the same key elements.

At the very beginning of the sip there is the cocoa and underneath that a body of the fruity-spicy note that formed most of the aroma as well, and then on the finish there’s a heavy caramel.

This is absolutely gorgeous, and I’m lucky because Wombatgirl actually sent me TWO samples of this one. I shall save the other one for a special occasion I think.

wombatgirl

Just let me know if you want more. Their storefront is here in Kansas City, and I’m always looking for excuses to go there. They’re really nice at the shop, and when I told them I was sending stuff to you in Denmark, they got really excited. :)

Angrboda

I looked at their site and they have a flat shipping rate. I think I might have to enquire as to whether that’s world wide or just america. If it’s world wide it’s very reasonable indeed, but I couldn’t find anything about whether they shipped internationally or not.

Comments

wombatgirl

Angrboda