Backlog from last night.
See, I was considering, while I finished off the strawberry zabaglione from 52teas the other day, that perhaps I was doing myself a disfavour with flavoured blacks. Maybe the short steeping times I use (never more than a minute for the first steep of a black) was preventing the flavouring to really come to its full potential.
So I decided to try making a cup of tea with a longer steep and less leaf on this one. Experimentation is the way forward in many things, including the noble art of brewing tea. I turned it down to about half the usual leaf and turned the steep time up to three minutes.
I won’t say it was a success, but it wasn’t an unmitigated disaster either. What I actually ended up with was a good cup of red fruit flavoured black, but rather more wispy and frankly thin than I have come to expect. The flavours didn’t come out more or in a different way. There were just less of it. Less substance.
That’s still useful information, though, and I can now go back to my semi gong fu method with more leaf and shorter steeping time knowing that I’m not cheating myself out of a better flavour experience.
And now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going through an Alice Cooper phase and this song requires some serious rocking around the living room.
(And please to be hurrying the heck up, Mr Postman! I miss my dashboard and my Steepsterites. (And I want my fricking packages!))