drank Bohea by Teas Etc

Goodmorning Steepsterites.

Still going on with the warm-ups for sample week, and this poor thing is the choice for today.

Poor? Oh yes, I seem to be thoroughly mistreating it. A little more leaf than I would normally use for a pot, but not enough to split in two. Fine, a stronger cup then. Then the discovery that the saucepan didn’t hold enough water to actually fill the pot, so I’m having to boil more. I hate this way of making tea! Tomorrow the boyfriend is coming home, thankfully, and I have received word that kettle is safely in his possession and that it will fit easily in the suitcase.

In other words, cross your fingers that this doesn’t come out horribly wrong and I haven’t just wasted a sample. And not just any sample, a smoky sample! It almost doesn’t bear thinking about.

However, we are dealing with a Chinese black here, and as we know Chinese blacks will often take an awful lot of abuse before becoming completely undrinkable. Strange that, but it’s part of why I prefer Chinese. They’ll spring back from almost anything.

This one is no exception, and I can’t even taste any traces of the mistreatment it has suffered at my hands. It’s smoky and smooth with no hints of astringency or even beginning bitterness. Nothing. It’s just patiently coping with everything that has been thrown at it and is still coming out on top. The only thing that makes it any sort of rough or prickly is the smoke, and that’s supposed to be there.

There is a sort of tangy flavour to it, though, and not really the fruity sweetness that I’m used to in the regular Lapsang Souchongs. It’s like that note has been replaced by this slightly spicy and tangy note. I think I prefer the fruity sweetness.

I quite like it, although not as much as my regular LSs, but it’s a very nice tea.

Kashyap

I had the misfortune of going to a friends and brought some wonderful oolongs from Naivetea and my Taiwanese Gawian only to discover that they made hot water in an old oxidized pan on the stove…fortunately the tea was fantastic and could overcome the abuse and poor water….makes me appreciate my krups kettle all the more

Angrboda

It’s amazing sometimes what you can really get away with with minimal negative impact on the result. Kinda puts snobbery in perspective, doesn’t it?
But on the other hand I think I’ll continue being a little more snobby than that. There are limits. (And it takes twice as long to make tea without a proper kettle)

Kashyap

I think its less of being snobby and more about caring about what you eat and drink…loving yourself starts by treating yourself to the best of what goes into you…water quality, good tea, quality food should be the standard…strange when to care about yourself that way and people insist your being a snob…or elitist…ah well…

Comments

Kashyap

Angrboda