Danish tax people are on to my activities. 196 kr in customs fees they demanded in ransom for my 52teas order. The contents of which cost 50 kr LESS than that, shipping included. Greedy greedy customs!

Anyway, this tea came out just after I had decided that I wanted to try some great cherry blacks. This is not a black, though, and it has other things than cherries going on, obviously, but still. Uncanny.

I was sceptical at first because of the brandy. I’ve mentioned before at length my dislike of alcohol in general, but having read some posts about it, it seems like the brandy shouldn’t be too strong. My curiosity returned and I plucked up the courage to buy some for myself and check it out. Somehow I don’t think I’d have managed to get peace of mind until I had tried it.

It smells quite cherry-y, but also of something else which I can only describe as borderline bubblegum. Synesthesia input says dark purple-y red.

Flavour is very much cherries as well, and also quite nutty, which I think is the white tea shining through. Also a touch of vanilla to all the fruit but not really enough to make much of a spectacle of itself. It’s a bit like onions in a spaghetti sauce. It doesn’t taste like onions at all, but if you leave them out, you’ll get a boring sauce. The vanilla is like that here. If it was left out, the flavour would be paler. Or maybe still very nice, but just different.

The brandy is excellent in its absence. I admit I don’t know what brandy really tastes like other than ‘alcoholic’ and since I dislike the alcoholic flavour and feeling of spirits, it’s impossible for me to get past it. So I’m not about to find out what it tastes like just to see if I can find it here. For me, the fact that I can’t find it, is a great big plus.

I’m glad I was brave and gave this a try, it was really well worth it. Whether it was also worth the extra customs expense… yeah, why not? Doesn’t mean I won’t whine about it though.

JoonSusanna

I SO understand your dislike of alcohol! I was hesitant to get this tea because of the brandy as well but I didn’t taste it either, thankfully. Have you decided on any cherry black teas to try? I liked the cherry in this but I wouldn’t mind more of a “pure” cherry taste.

Angrboda

Cherries don’t appear to be a very common flavour in blacks from the shops I have access to. I’m on the lookout. :)
I found the brandy, though. It has whole dried cherries in it, and if you eat one after it has been steeped, that’s where the brandy flavour seems to show up. It didn’t taste alcoholic, but it didn’t make me want to eat any of the others in the pot either.

Winter Salo

So glad it made for a satisfying cup it’d be terrible to go through the extra expense to end up with a disappointing brew.

Angrboda

Yes, that would have been annoying. Fortunately I had also bought two pouches of black currant bai mu dan which is a confirmed nom, so it wouldn’t have been a complete loss had I not liked this one.

Comments

JoonSusanna

Winter Salo