I usually make the tea in this household. I seem to be the one drinking it the most or at least being more conscious of when I want some. So it very quickly turned into my job. For the first cup in the morning I typically make us a pot of something non-flavoured black of my own choice. If it’s flavoured it’s the Smoky Earl Grey, which I can stretch to a morning tea in spite of the flavouring on account of the smoke in it. So anyway, first cup is strictly my choice unless he requests something before I can make some.

After that I tend to ask him for preferences or show him one that I want and ask if he wants some. Sometimes I even force him to make a specific choice by asking elaborating questions about flavoured or non-flavoured or which type.

For this cup the answer was ‘something new’. Well that’s a rather wide concept when I don’t know what’s new to him. I can remember more or less what I’ve had and not had out of the collection, but I can’t remember what I’ve been feeding him. So he came out and picked one that neither of us has had before.

‘The Sacred Fujian,’ was his word choice when he found this one in the pouch basket.

So that’s what we’re having.

It smells heavily jasmine-y. So much so in fact that for the first time I’m realising that jasmine has a very lemon-y smell. This really rather too much flower for my taste normally, but at least it doesn’t smell like it’s got a bottle of perfume in it.

It’s quite flowery in taste as well, not quite to that point of tasting like dust but it’s getting there. Very grey flavour. I can’t really find the white tea underneath because of all this jasmine and and I feel a bit like I’m just sitting around drinking flowers.

I used to say that I’m not a fan of flower scented teas, but I think I’ll have start narrowing that down as I’m beginning to be able to notice some differences. I find magnolia acceptable enough and the honeysuckle yesterday was as well, although a bit dusty. I have not had super experiences with rose or jasmine, but I have had crysanthemum in a pu-erh once rather successfully, and there was also that one from Shang Tea once, the one that tasted like melons. Can’t remember what flower that was though. Tangerine blossoms, that was awesome.

But it seems that jasmine just falls in the Too Much area for me, which is typical when it’s the most popular flower to scent with. All in all, an acceptable tea, but not for me, really.

(I have previously reported that cats don’t like Lapsang Souchong. I can now reveal to the world that they find jasmine white offensive as well. Luna, on her way to join the Occupy Ang’s Lap movement, took one sniff and promptly changed her mind.)

Uniquity

I established last evening that cats (or at least mine) are quite fond of Through the Grapevine by David’s Tea. It might have been the end of our stash from last winter, but she sniffed not only my cup repeatedly but the whole teapot. I thought she was going to drink it at one point, but it was still hot.

Angrboda

I haven’t been able to find one yet that mine have liked. Possibly one containing mint would be popular with them, but it has not yet been tested. So far oolong seems to have had the best reaction, namely indifference.

Cole

This post saddens me, but I can’t say I’m too surprised — you mentioned you didn’t like flowery teas, and jasmine pearls ALWAYS take the cake for me. I can’t even drink this stuff anymore, as it tastes too perfume-y for me.

I’ll take my floral notes in my oolongs naturally, thankyouverymuch! :)

Comments

Uniquity

Angrboda

Cole

I’ll take my floral notes in my oolongs naturally, thankyouverymuch! :)

The Formalities