drank Rou Gui by TeaSpring

This was from my recent TeaSpring order, the one that was famously held hostage by Tax & Customs for days and days on end. I’ve been a bit distracted while drinking this cup, so you’re getting a short version of it. I was also distracted when brewing it, so the short version is probably also wildly inaccurate because I forgot to set a timer while steeping so it steeped for… a good long while. About twice, I think, of how long I would have given it otherwise.

The aroma of the leaves wasn’t super strong. It was there but very mild and gentle. I thought it had a rather toasted note to it with some sweetness and something kind of floral mixed in.

The flavour is really very similar to this. This bark of cassia that TeaSpring refer to in the description is something that is used in cooking as a spice and is also called ‘Chinese Cinnamon’. I don’t think it tastes especially cinnamon-y though, but I can sort of see where they are getting that from. I can only imagine that the actual bark would be much more cinnamon-like in nature.

It also has that burnt toast note that I mentioned when I had the woodfired TGY from Verdant a little while a go. It prickles coal-y-ly ( cringe yes I know…) on the tongue and in the after taste, but is surprisingly pleasant when it doesn’t actually have anything to do with real burnt toast.

Under the current circumstances I can’t say that I’m finding it immensely interesting though. It’s a perfectly wonderful oolong, but it’s more functional than it’s interesting, if you get what I mean. Maybe when I do this properly, I’ll change my mind though.

(I suppose it would be unfair of me to hold the fact that it felt very unpleasant in my windpipe against the tea. But it did. cough )

TeaBrat

the rou gui I have is definitely better when steeped for less time… like 30 – 60 seconds fyi

Angrboda

Yeah, I normally do 1-2 minutes. This must have had at least 5.

ScottTeaMan

How is a Rou Gui compared to Da Hong Pao??

Angrboda

Even if I had been able to avoid all those distractions with this cup, I couldn’t answer that question without a side by side comparison. I’m not experienced enough in these oolongs to do that. Sorry.

TeaBrat

I don’t know either, sorry Scott.

Comments

TeaBrat

Angrboda

Yeah, I normally do 1-2 minutes. This must have had at least 5.

ScottTeaMan

How is a Rou Gui compared to Da Hong Pao??

TeaBrat

I don’t know either, sorry Scott.

The Formalities